Menu
Jarndyce
Dialled in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box - stuttering on playback

We had our TiVo box replaced in November due to a failing HDD.
The new box is now showing similar issues.

During playback, the image and sound frequently freezes and stutters, making it unwatchable. Restarting the box fixes things temporarily, and the sequences that stuttered before will then play normally. However, this doesn't last long.

We're also getting more pixelation and blocking on some recordings. 

I've tried turning the box off and unplugging temporarily from the mains. As I've said, this fixes things temporarily. Anything else I should try, or is it another new box?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVo box - stuttering on playback

Hi Jarndyce Smiley Happy

Thank you for the post into the board, i'm sorry that there's been a bit of a hiccup on the recording here. 

It's interesting to read as I've been into the hard drive and can see that there are some remapped sectors, this can indicate a software or hardware issue.

I would like to arrange an engineer to come out and help with this. The likelihood of a replacement would be high so watching the remaining shows would be best. Also you cannot move over the shows but you can move the recording options over.

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

All Replies
Jarndyce
Dialled in
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Really playing up tonight on recordings.

Pausing the recording and waiting a few minutes is temporarily making it watchable.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jarndyce Smiley Happy

Thank you for the post into the board, i'm sorry that there's been a bit of a hiccup on the recording here. 

It's interesting to read as I've been into the hard drive and can see that there are some remapped sectors, this can indicate a software or hardware issue.

I would like to arrange an engineer to come out and help with this. The likelihood of a replacement would be high so watching the remaining shows would be best. Also you cannot move over the shows but you can move the recording options over.

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

Schu32
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I too have had this problem in the past and my tivo box was also replaced, and my replacement is also doing the same thing. Its a huge pain when you record things and then cant watch them back because the box freezes and hangs, then you either cant make it stop or it gets stuck fast forwarding / rewinding. Its a nightmare!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Schu32,

Thanks for posting!

Sorry to hear you've had similar issues. Has this been fixed or is the issue still on-going?

Look forward to hearing from you!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dave747
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Just found this thread

Our Tivo is now three and a half years old and becoming increasingly unreliable. Usage is simple, record and playback broadcast tv, very occasional use of Catchup, no netflix or other apps.

Ideally I would like a replacement but our current Tivo is about 60% full of programs we want to watch, can we get a replacement to make new recordings but hang onto our old unit until we have watched all our recordings (or until it fails)?

Asking a lot I know, but as there is no way to save our recordings to a new unit...

Thought I would ask.

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello dave747,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your TiVo® box and a warm welcome to the community.

If we were to send out a technician to take a look at your TiVo® box then it may need to be replaced with a new one. Unfortunately they wouldn't be able to leave the faulty TiVo® at your property as they're taken back to the test centre and fixed accordingly. The recordings are only available on the hard drive of the TiVo® so I would suggest watching what you can before booking the appointment but let us know when you're ready and we can do this for you.

Take care

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dave747
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Rose,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is there no way of getting a second Tivo box, how about buying a reconditioned one? I believe you can use 2 boxes at the same time as long as they are both connected, is that correct?

Dave

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello dave747,

Yes certainly you can subscribe to additional boxes on your account but this would need to be done through our customer service team. The best way to do this would be to call 150 from a Virgin landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and they can advise you of the best deals available to you and get you up and running with a secondary Virgin box Smiley Happy

I hope this helps

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dave747
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you, I will give them a call, no great rush at the moment.

Maybe I'll wait for them to try and sell me an upgrade...Smiley Wink

0 Kudos