Menu
pooky1969
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box stuck on update

My TiVo box has displayed the following message since at least 7.30am this morning

"Important - Please do not switch off your set-top box. We're updating your Digital TV service, which may take a few minutes. Your box will restart automatically when this is complete"

At the bottom it says Updating Stage 1 of 3, but when the update bar fills it then goes back to zero and starts again.

There is a constant blue light and a blinking red light on the right hand side of the box. What can I do to get the box working again?

0 Kudos
pooky1969
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box stuck on update

24 hours later and the box is still in the same loop of trying to update and not getting anywhere. Still with a solid blue and blinking red light.

I read that a firmware update is being rolled out (I'm in the Liverpool area) - so is this a software or hardware issue?

0 Kudos
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sad to see no one responded to you. Seems like a lottery who the moderators reply to, regardless of the severity. I would have responded sooner but it seems a bumped thread goes to the back of the queue. It must also be pointed out that this is a "community discussion forum" and not Virgin support.

Did you get it working in the end? Personally I would have switched it off and on again after the first couple of hours but I don't work for Virgin so it is not for me to say. It seems a certain percentage of boxes get broken every time there is an "update" and you lose all your recordings etc.

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
pooky1969
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler

No it still isn't working. The box just isn't rebooting. I did try turning it off and on thanks, but it just goes back to the updating screen. I've requested an engineer as Virgin tried to reboot the box remotely but that didn't work either.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Pooky1969,

Welcome to the Community and popping in, I'm sorry to read about the still update here and i would love to help out. apologies to you on the late reply, we haven't forgotten you Smiley Happy

I was trying to access some of your details but were unable to, can you please have a look inside your 'Inbox', I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
pooky1969
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have finally given up on the TiVo service. I took a day off work for an engineer to struggle to fix the problem. In the end he replaced the box. He noticed that Channel 5 HD, BBC2HD, Film4HD and MTV didn't work. He pulled the cable up from under my front lawn and said the signal strength was poor. He called the problem in and said that the cable would need replacing so there was no need to rebury it. After a few days I had heard nothing more. Thanks to a moderator here I found out a time and date (3 weeks later) had been assigned for the job. I took another day off work. There was torrential rain on the morning of the appointment. The engineers turned up, sat in the van for an hour, knocked and asked what the problem was, then went back and sat in the van for another 30 minutes then left. My time slot was 10am to 1pm. They returned at 9pm, tried boosting the signal but the missing channels couldn't be resolved so I just said I wanted the cable reburying. It was getting dark by then so I didn't notice until the next day that a substantial part of the cable was still not buried. Not wanting to waste another holiday on an engineer I reburied it myself. The new TiVo box intermittently said it was recording something when it wasn't. Again, I put up with it. Yesterday, the box shows the same fault I started with (stuck on update stage 1 of 3) . Rather than call this in I have cancelled my TiVo service. I have no broadband or landline problems so have kept those. I will say that customer services were great and this was sorted within 5 minutes. It's a shame as for 5 years prior I had no issues. Maybe Virgin should stop rolling out updates that fry TiVo boxes.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pooky1969,

Thank you for coming in again, I am sorry to see that you're having issues.

I have already replied to you in your PM, if you can have a look there, I'd be more than happy to help.

Take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
pfh1959
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The same is happening to me it started at 10.30pm and did phone virgin up they say it's definitely a update I checked at 4.30am the box is still updating and rebooting looks like a call again let's hope I get a V6 box
0 Kudos