Menu
Townsley
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box running slow and jumping to end or beginning of programmes paused

In the last couple of weeks out TiVo box has started playing up, it happens intermittently but has been progressively getting worse. When watching a paused programme, it either jumps back to beginning, or, as happened on Saturday, jumps to end and back on to normal TV meaning we miss the end of the program altogether! Husband rang customer service team but did not get a helpful response at all. Not happy as we pay so much for a service we are not getting, and don't want to miss things over Christmas!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box running slow and jumping to end or beginning of programmes paused

What did CS say?

I'd have expected them to either diagnose signal issues or a faulty HDD within the TiVo.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Townsley
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

CS were hopeless all the lady said to my husband was that there was nothing wrong with the channels, "I have escalated it to our higher team who will be in contact" she also stated it was a known problem that the pause button did not work properly with the TiVo box but provided no solution as to what they intended doing about it. We ended up hanging up in frustration!

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Ring again and press the button for thinking Of leaving. That'll usually get their attention. It's either a signal or a hard drive issue. You may need a new box. 

0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just checking...Is that either a recording or live pause recorded between 10 and 15 minutes past the hour or when you're watching at about 10 to 15 minutes past the hour?

When watching recording and the point of time in the recording is around quarter past you may normally see pixelation as well as the machine grinding to a halt. You may then find you need to fast forward past that bit of recording

If watching recording and it's NOW around ten to quarter past then you would tend to see the recording jump about without pixelation as you described. The box also fails to resume the show you were watching where it left off.

I've tended to see that more often if it is also recording something at the same time.

(The offending recording behind the scenes maybe a suggestion not necessarily set by yourself)

----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Townsley,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I can see there's already been some very helpful advice here and as I'm seeing a signal issue on your box I would like to arrange for someone to take a look at this for you so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see a message waiting for you with further information.

Talk to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
jwhite52
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

This is my first post on the community as I have continued to feel confident that a call to CS would resolve a similar issue that I have.

If I pause a tv programme for say 10 or 15 mins i start to watch the now behind tv prog. in roughly 5 mins of watching the paused programme the programme jumps to live tv so I have to rewind to get back to the place I was watching. This problem I have had for nearly a year and it has been reported umpteen times to VM. An engineer has been out a couple of times but has failed to fix. On one occasion a booked engineer telephoned me to say he is on his way and asked what the problem was. when I explained he said that he wouldn't be able to fix the issue as the Tivo boxes are getting so old that they are not coping with continuous upgrades. He said a new box is coming out in November and to request a new one. Recently the reverse is happening, the paused programme skips back 5 or 10 mins to a programme I have already watched. I contacted VM who said that this was a strange fault (it seems that it isn't that strange reading the forum posts) and that he would escalate the problem to a another department and it would be fixed remotely. He was a little vague on how I would know when it would be fixed particularly as this fault is intermittent. The box is also very slow to respond even after a restart and re-setting all the thumbs up/down trick. Any ideas? Thanks.

John W

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I'd have suggested from your description that you either have signal issues, HDD issues, or both.

How long have you had the TiVo?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Townsley
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

A very nice forum administrator team member picked up on my issue and arranged for an engineer to call. He came on 23rd December and defined it as a hard drive issue and replaced our Ti Vo box, no issues since! I would suggest it may be the same for you especially if you have had your box a while. Good luck.

Townsley
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

All sorted thanks, joining this forum so,Veda it a an administrator arranged an engineer visit, confirmed hard drive issue, now have new box 😀 Our old one was 6 years old 

0 Kudos