Menu
Tom41
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box reboot loop with green screen

My 1TB TiVo box was behaving strangely recently, randomly rebooting itself and showing recordings that I could not delete. I telephoned technical support and they advised me to clear and delete everything using the option in the menu.

A couple of days later, the box is constantly rebooting itself. A green screen appears saying "The DVR has detected a serious problem and is attempting to fix it"; after a minute or so it reboots again and does the same thing. So I assume I was right in the first place, the hard disk on the box was dying and it will need replacing.

I suppose this will mean booking an engineer visit. Is it safe to turn the box off to stop it making the annoying clicking noise all night? The green screen says DO NOT turn it off, but I think it is dead already...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box reboot loop with green screen

it's dead, switch it off and book an engineer

0 Kudos
Tom41
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Assuming the box needs replacing, would an engineer need to visit to swap for a new one? Or can the new one be sent to me to self-install? We did a self-install a while ago when we replaced another working box with a TiVo, but not sure if that can be done for a defective box.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

it can be done, ask about it when you call in

0 Kudos