Menu
Benratty
Tuning in
Message 61 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box really slow lately

Are we all getting new Tivo boxes? Mine still doesnt work properly. It never has.
Tags (1)
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 62 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi beaker656,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I have now been able to check your box fully now and carry out the necessary checks.  

Currently there's no signal or power level issues present which is good to see.  Nor is there any network faults present.  

Only thing I did find was some errors with the hard drive status.  As you mentioned you have had blocky pixelations on the playbacks this will need to be sorted by an engineer.

I will send you a private message with further details.  Look for the envelope icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 63 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi Benratty,

Thank you for your post on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing problem you've had with your TiVo. 

There is a known issue in your area, however, I've been able to run testing to your TiVo and can see a problem with the box that requires an engineer to call out and get sorted for you. This should improve your TiVo service even with the ongoing work in your area going on. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the purple envelope at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
haynes77
On our wavelength
Message 64 of 399
Flag for a moderator

On reading other posts, we now know that this is obviously a widespread issue with Tivo - just wish we'd known this before signing up to an 18 month contract!

To say our Tivo box is SLOW is an understatement and we will definitely be going back to Sky TV when our contract with Virgin ends.  My daughter has been staying with us for a few days and is shocked how slow the service is - you actually end up doubting that you've pressed a button on the remote as it takes soooo long to do anything.  Also, the remote control is the most user unfriendly remote I've ever used

Virgin may be the best broadband provider but Sky TV beats Tivo hands down for sure.

slw1502
On our wavelength
Message 65 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I too have been having really slow issues with my TiVo box. It sometimes is unbearable. Also when watching a programme on my shows it stutters than freezes. I have to stop the show and then restart. The vevo app is also slow. I have had this box since they came out, albeit slightly before. I have never experienced this much slowness. Are there new boxes coming to replace this or is it just a case of put up with it.
Tags (2)
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 66 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are in compete denial mode that there is anything 'wrong' with the TiVo..

they will check your cable signal level, ask you to reboot, ask you to change the batteries in your remote, do all sorts of time-wasting checks, but all to no avail.

Meanwhile its clear from all the comments here that the problem is with the software they've pushed out to the boxes being completely unsuitable for the now ageing TiVo hardware.

gilburton
On our wavelength
Message 67 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I was one of the early adopters and have a second box upstairs. Because of this I am paying for them unlike new customers.

I immediately regretted getting them as I could not stand the "suggestions" so I turned that off.

It was obvious from the start that the catch up services were much slower to load as they were now an app connecting through the internet.

As I said in an earlier post I no longer watch Netflix on Tivo and use my laptop as I can connect much quicker and every time unlike Tivo.

Sometimes mine doesn't react to the remote making you think either the batteries have gone or you haven't quite pointed or pressed it correctly so you try again a few times and I've ended up switching the box off/on.

I shall certainly look at reducing my tv services as I can get most on FTA through my dish or the laptop.

In my case the need for Tivo is minimal the best feature being the 3 tuners as I only use it as a recorder  so if VM brought out a simple box with 3 or 4 tuners and dropped the features on Tivo it would suit me.

echelom
Fibre optic
Message 68 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I found out today a new service a VEVO App, but it's only on TiVo - First thoughts' oh no, just like YouTube or NetFlix and the speed of the navigation is diabolical.

This box was replaced within the past 6 months, as far as I can remember because of 'bad sectors' which had been mapped out by the TiVo box, I knew what this meant anyway. With Virginmedia though it is a full box swap, and of course you lose all your recordings, and we have the 1Tb box in the lounge.

Anyway, I setup the box to speed up accessing apps, where the box asks for the PIN, so I removed all this because no one in our uses it anyway, and it just slows the TiVo box even more. When Virginmedia does a TiVo box swap in UK, they do not do a dump to the new TiVo box therefore you lose ALL recordings, but if you have TiVo in the USA, they will actually data 'dump' to your new box.

So, today I go to use the new TiVo VEVO App.... OMG, I could have had breakfast, dinner and tea before it eventually played a video!!! What happens to these TiVo boxes, do the HDD's fragment over time? Yes, I know what I am talking about I used to be an electronics engineer. Virginmedia needs to update these TiVo boxes and use SSD drives, not these slow HDD's that hardly suit its purpose.

Having to reboot every few days does not solve the problem, it just postpones it a little longer - before it goes slow again! The picture quality at first on VEVO was like watching something recorded in 240p back in the 1980's! I admit it did get a bit better, after awhile. But it must of took a good 10 minutes to get VEVO up!

Why do we pay for a TV service like this from Virginmedia?
Needless, to say the VEVO app is probaby faster on iOS or Android, or even the PC.

Why does TiVo boxes take so dam long to run an App, it should be instant - well, in theory. We all know in practice that is not the case.

I do not want my box swapped again, it is a pointless and repetitive process, and does not fix the slowness of the TiVo box. We have already considered what we are doing, and that is dropping both useless TiVo Boxes.

We considered various options that are available in wireless media boxes, we already subscribe to NetFlix 4 x HD Streams and NowTv (The cheaper way of watching Sky Channels per month) - Freeview, well that is useless in heavy rain like we get, it just causes pixelation and buffering issues.

So at the end of the day, TiVo is being cancelled - it does not serve it's purpose which is intended for.

Regards,

wilkenstein1974
On our wavelength
Message 69 of 399
Flag for a moderator

if VM brought out a simple box with 3 or 4 tuners and dropped the features on Tivo it would suit me.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, that's all I want too, ideally 4, but minium 3 tuners and recording AND working properly, then I'd be very happy.

Very long time VM customer, from the old blueyonder days.
singer61
Tuning in
Message 70 of 399
Flag for a moderator

well im glad i found this forum , my tivo box is slower than a snail and i dunno what to do , it stops when playin and is all pixelated  and this has been goin on for weeks now , can someone from virgin help