Menu
thanks4nothing
Fibre optic
Message 51 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box really slow lately

TivoSucks wrote:

Just read an article which included the following:

Another complaint is that once they've got the hang of using the box, many users have issues with the speed - or lack of it - at which the box reacts to commands, from loading menus to simple commands like "play".

As the apps aren't the easiest to find, this can make loading something from Netflix or iPlayer rather more frustrating than we would like when it comes to a supposedly competition-beating piece of kit.

When we raised the issue with Virgin, they said that despite it being frustrating for those it affects, "the numbers complaining of this problem is actually very small."

It seems as though the user community need to become alot more vocal about the sluggish nature of this 'premium service' before VM will take any notice.

Not surprised the numbers are very small, do they have any tv customers left? The latest subscriber numbers look very bleak indeed:

"high numbers of TV subscribers quitting following a recent price hike... The group admitted it had seen "elevated TV churn ... the move to raise TV prices hit that part of the business, with only 900 TV subscribers added during the fourth quarter - a fraction of the 21,500 who joined in the same quarter a year earlier."

http://www.expressandstar.com/business/city-news/2016/02/16/virgin-media-reveals-38-surge-in-profits...

This user has left the community.
0 Kudos
MrWhiskins
On our wavelength
Message 52 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I've heard from a reliable source (I work in the building next to Virgin HQ in Hook, and know some of the techies there) that a new box will be brought out later this yr by VM. Fingers x'd
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 53 of 399
Flag for a moderator

until Virgin make an official announcement that's just (wishful) speculation (sadly), and they have past form in pre-annoucing products yet to be realeased may be sometime soon , but then a lot later.

my contract is up in June,  if they haven't announced something definite by early May i'll be giving the months notice to terminate & switching to Sky, with much regret.

The current Virgin Tivo experience is so bad i'm suprised Tivo haven't pulled the software rights licence from Virgin  for giving them such a bad press. (but i guess they need the revenue)

NicG
Tuning in
Message 54 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I got a call from VM today saying I'm being sent a new TiVo box next week because the Samsung one I have just now will stop working next month. Does anyone have any more info on the new box?

0 Kudos
beaker656
On our wavelength
Message 55 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I'm another addition to the number of subscribers suffering the terrible slow down and unresponsiveness of the VM branded Tivo box.

It is now appallingly unresponsive to button commands and when it does work the time delay from moving to Menu, guide etc is a joke. Sometimes you get a blank, black screen. Then slowly the mini screen appears, then the guide or menu will appear. Happens every time, from being restarted or on for day. Before any forum mod responds with the usual can I just add

1. Due to move from original VM Super Hub to Super Hub 2 (failing Wifi) last month, I've had my line checked for issues, dropouts, throughput. All is fine, guess what it was the Super Hub after all.
  2. I didn't disclose the issues with my Tivo box with above above as I know it's a hardware vs poorly optimised software issue.
  3. I've done a full reset / format of the box (sacrificed all my recordings).
  4. The box is still as unresponsive with 0% storage utilisation and no series links present as it is with 80% storage utilisation. 
  5. My remote has new batteries.
  6. No it's not hot, it's well ventilated.
  7. Sometimes my recordings don't play, they skip or jump, go back to the beginning. They are also blocky, I've deduced this is down to which tuner is used for the recording. Failing box?

I've had tivo from the pre register in Feb 2011, now on my second box and last 6 months it's become a dog and painful to use / navigate. Luckily I've a working sky HD box 

Tags (3)
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 56 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi NicG,

A warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I have taken a look at this for you and I can see that you're scheduled to have a box swap soon.  

I will send you a private message with further details.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 57 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi beaker656,

Thanks for coming by.

I'm sorry to hear that you're also getting slow behaviour on the TiVo®.  I'll be glad to help check this out for you.

Seen as you have already eliminated various possibilities which is great to see, I will check the box remotely for you.  Currently I am not able to get a full reading of the box, would you mind powering off/on again to refresh?  I know you have mentioned you have done this already, this will hopefully help me check the box fully and check out what the possible cause for this fault is.  

Once this is done, let me know and I can continue to check further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
davorg
Dialled in
Message 58 of 399
Flag for a moderator

HI,

Just wanted to add my name to the list of people who are getting more and more annoyed with the slow-down of the Tivo. Over the last three months it has become really noticeable. Menus often take ten or more seconds to respond to clicks. And you can go off and make a cup of tea while the Netflix app is loading.

The VM developers must know how underpowered the hardware is. I don't understand why they continue to push more software to the box if it's just going to annoy customers. Do they think that we won't notice the slow-down?

And they use these new features to justify ridiculous price rises.

I'm happy to pay a reasonable price for a reasonable service but more and more I find myself reaching for Bittorrent as I know it's going to be more reliable. When my contract ends, I'll be seriously considering how much I need VM's services.

Dave...

@davorg
Former Cable & Wireless and ntl customer
beaker656
On our wavelength
Message 59 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi, my Tivo box is on and has been last hour or so. Feel free to do what you need to.
0 Kudos
wilkenstein1974
On our wavelength
Message 60 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nic, I'll bet ten to a penny that you'll basically just get a sawp for a new/old TiVo box the same as all of us are complaining about.

Very long time VM customer, from the old blueyonder days.