Menu
wilkenstein1974
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box really slow lately

As I wrote in my last post, the engineer that visited me last weekend told me that sometime this year they're expecting a new TiVo box.

Very long time VM customer, from the old blueyonder days.
0 Kudos
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 42 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Sadly from experience I have found engineers are the last to know anything, and are very good at making things up to sound informed.

I have been told some amazing things by engineers over the years, many of which were blatantly untrue!!!

0 Kudos
wilkenstein1974
On our wavelength
Message 43 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Well the engineer that visited me seemed very knowledgable, and very honest about the problems with the current aged box.

On Top of this, his view is supported by the article linked previously so personally I'm happy to believe that VM will do something soon, or face losing lots of customers to the SkyQ which does look pretty special.

Very long time VM customer, from the old blueyonder days.
Benratty
Tuning in
Message 44 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I am getting in on this as well. I switched from BTTV Youview. Really good TV box but BT expensive. Tivo is awful, been with Virgin about 4 months now and there is only iPlayer app, ITV hub hardly any programmes available and the Tivo box is so slow its barely useable. Guess you get what you pay for.
Tags (1)
mbonnick
Rising star
Message 45 of 399
Flag for a moderator

You're right about you get what you pay for however, with the Tivo box we are definitely not getting good value for money.  I pay Virgin £80 a month for their services, for that money I would expect a box that is fit for purpose.  I would argue the Tivo box in its current state is not!!!

MrWhiskins
On our wavelength
Message 46 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Im about to switch back to VM after a years absence with Sky. I loved TiVo before and it always worked fine for me - I hope im not jumping into something I will regret - Sky Q looks excellent, but the near on £400 upfront fee's plus £50+ per month + the cost of a Broadband connection kind of puts me off somewhat compared to the deal i've just got with VM. Glad i'll have a 14day cooling off though if TiVo proves to be as problematic as lots of posts are suggesting.

TivoSucks
Settling in
Message 47 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Just read an article which included the following:

Another complaint is that once they've got the hang of using the box, many users have issues with the speed - or lack of it - at which the box reacts to commands, from loading menus to simple commands like "play".

As the apps aren't the easiest to find, this can make loading something from Netflix or iPlayer rather more frustrating than we would like when it comes to a supposedly competition-beating piece of kit.

When we raised the issue with Virgin, they said that despite it being frustrating for those it affects, "the numbers complaining of this problem is actually very small."

It seems as though the user community need to become alot more vocal about the sluggish nature of this 'premium service' before VM will take any notice.

NickNewark
Fibre optic
Message 48 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Honestly, I've had TIVO from the start with VM, and it's never been any different, it is in fact getting slower IMO. Having done lots of thinking I'm leaving VM in April, as for me it just isn't worth the money, the BB is good and has never let me down, but other than that I can get all my services cheaper elsewhere.

TIVO has been badly managed, and personally I can't wait to see the back of it.

Streaming in my house is the way forward! I can pay for passes as I need them, no longer tied to a subscription, and it's a lot cheaper!

wd40addict
Dialled in
Message 49 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Presumably, like our own dear Kath_F, no senior VM manager actually uses a Tivo. If they did they'd be asking some questions...

Those with long memories may Remember Andre Previn advertising (British made) Ferguson TVs in the 80s. At around the same time his house was broken into and the thieves stole his TV and VCR - they were both Japanese!!

holiam
Tuning in
Message 50 of 399
Flag for a moderator

This has been an interesting forum to find.  I've noticed my TIVO really slowing down over the last 6 months or so.  I've come close to throughing the remote at the TV - Tivo rage!

Some of the posts have been entertaining.  It reminds me of my 'Windows' days, buy a new laptop - see how wizzy it is when you first turn it on, then slowly watch it age and die before your eyes after it has been bloated up with applications and downloaded a 10,000 security patches.

I solved that issue, I bought an Apple and never looked back.  Still using one I bought 5 years ago and it's still fast.  Is Sky the new Apple?

In my professional opinion, the hardware spec should be more than adequate to perform the simple tasks, which leads me down the path of poor software design.

I'm in a new block of apartments and not allowed a sat dish, so I don't have the Sky option, but I'm watching less and less TV these days and more internet/netflix so I'm seriously thinking about ditching the tivo and phone and keeping the BB

Virgin, listen to your customers and do something about this fast!