Menu
nialled
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box really slow lately

I have always felt that the Virgin TiVo box was sluggish compared to say, Sky, but over the last few months it has definitely got worse. Just responding to the 'My Shows' button or bringing up the TV Guide is taking longer & longer. A restart seems to improve the situation for a few days but it gradually gets worse again.

I'm afraid that I don't agree that processors get slower as they get older (at least not in any meaningful way). What usually happens is that as software features are added, the burden on the existing hardware increases. This is usually exacerbated when the programmers don't take time to optimise their work. So either VM or Tivo need to put greater emphasis on performance when they make changes or start upgrading the hardware to compensate for the lazy programming. I imagine that when enough people are complaining they will sort it out but until then, I will just have to get into the habit of restarting it every few days.

Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 22 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wilkenstein1974,

Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry to hear that the services rebooted at 9:55pm. I've been into the TV services in the home and I've still not been able to identify anything that would suggest a hardware fault at this time.

Customers have explained they have experienced slowness and if you can reboot the box and let me know if there's been some change?

Many thanks.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
wilkenstein1974
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Ben,

Obviously we've already exchanged several messages in private and as I've said I've rebooted the box several times, and it makes little to no difference.

The box has simply slowed down and even when I've wiped everything off of it, it is still very slow and sluggish, in addition now the sound effects have decided that they will only sound when they want to not at all times as they have been set.

I am afraid your supposed 'tests' not showing a hardware fault is simply irrelevant, it is still very slow and unresponsive nowadays in comparison to when it was first installed some years ago. User Nialled could well be right in so much as it is not a hardware problem but instead a software and programming problem, maybe the programmers do not test things properly or well and do not optimise their work, I do not know, but either way the box is so slow it is getting to the point where I could well change service providers for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Richard.

Very long time VM customer, from the old blueyonder days.
Nigel_F
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 399
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same issue as described on here and can be found in the many reviews of the Virgin TiVo service you can find online. I have tried restarting the box, but the menu response remains painfully slow. Sometimes I press a button have to wait 3-5 seconds (sometimes more) before anything happens; mainly within the MyShows and on demand dialogues. This seemed to start after the big software update last year, but may also have coincided with the increases in broadband speeds offered. This is unacceptable performance for a modern set top box. My friends' Sky boxes are far more responsive than the TiVo. I switched to TiVo when it was first made available so my box is a few years old now, maybe the older TiVo hardware is simply not up to handling the current operating system and software? e.g. my 1 Gen iPad mini struggles with the latest iOS due to its lack of processing power. I don't know anything about their internal architecture, but maybe TiVo boxes are the same? The worst thing is that Virgin have now informed me that I have to pay 5% more for this service as of next month!

Tags (3)
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 25 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wilkenstein1974,

Thank you for your reply, I've been away from my desk and would have loved to reply to you sooner. My apologies on the late reply. 

I've been reviewing the services and TV box, I've still not received anything regarding abnormal signal levels, hard drive operations and contention and demand for the services in the home. Your broadband is working well with very minimal timeouts. I can understand that if you're experiencing something it may be best to have an engineer look at this in case there is something that I'm not able to pick up here, as there's simply no issues to detect. 

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a fab day

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
sharrattm
Superfast
Message 26 of 399
Flag for a moderator

>I've been reviewing the services and TV box, I've still not received anything regarding abnormal signal levels, hard drive operations and contention and >demand for the services in the home. Your broadband is working well with very minimal timeouts. I can understand that if you're experiencing something it >may be best to have an engineer look at this in case there is something that I'm not able to pick up here, as there's simply no issues to detect.

Ben, that's because there is nothing wrong with his cable or signal levels, and nothing that an engineer visit is going to fix.

Just like everyone else who has the same problems, its down to the Tivo being underpowered with all the badly written software Virgin have put onto the box. Look at all the people reporting the same issue (me included)

Please will you (Virgin) stop pretending it is all some localised issue, there is a serious problem with the Tivo which Virgin need to address urgently!!!

joebloggs
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Certainly is underpowered CPU and not enough memory! My box has started to crawl and I only signed up last month! Tried to call to cancel today and was told that only 1% of Virgin Customers find their boxes slow (this was from a manager) and said I would have to pay an early termination fee or put up for 11 months Smiley Sad

Gutted is an understatement as I want to through the box out the window it is so slow!!

wilkenstein1974
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 399
Flag for a moderator

Well I had an engineering visit at the weekend and he pretty much confirmed everything we've been saying, that these first generation of VM TiVo boxes are now just old tech trying to keep up with new software and can't cope. He even said his own box was exactly the same with slowness and that mine is indeed struggling. I was also told that he'd change my box but a new one would still have the same problem but hopefully sometime this year Virgin will be bringing out a new generation of boxes, which they'll really need to to compete with the SkyQ, which looks like it could be a game changer.

Very long time VM customer, from the old blueyonder days.
Nigel_F
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 399
Flag for a moderator

How can Virgin justify the Feb price hike with this sort of service?

As an aside, if I was a new subscriber I could get exactly the same service as I have already for 1/3 less for 18 months and then the increase would be to a price less than I pay before the hike! I guess its to cover the useless engineer visits! I had one recently to install an new SuperHub2 to replace my existing SuperHub. The engineer said it was a waste of his time as all he did was plug it in. It is otherwise self configuring, so could just be mailed out. I feel a call to customer services coming on...
webbit
Joining in
Message 30 of 399
Flag for a moderator

our tivo is running slow, can someone please look into this, we have a v+ box which responds much better

0 Kudos