Menu
Arfa_Daily
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box rant time again ...

Yes, I know that I've been here before, and I'm sure that all the usual suspects will tell me yet again that I'm wrong and the TiVo box is the cleverest thing since the electric toaster teamed up with sliced bread, but tonight it once again showed itself to be as dumb as a bag of spanners in the most annoying way possible.

I refer of course, to the final of BBC1's "The Apprentice". The programme which preceded it was "Sports Personality of the Year", and being live, it of course over-ran. And what did the good old TiVo do about this ? As ever, absolutely nothing because it didn't know ...  It slavishly started recording at 9pm, catching the last seven minutes or whatever it was of the "Sports.. " over-run. So of course, it just as slavishly stopped recording at 3 minutes past 10 when the buffer minutes ran out, missing the last four minutes of The Apprentice where the winner was declared. Sky and Freeview recorders will have handled this correctly because they make use of the scheduling metadata embedded in the transmission. If starting the recording of The Apprentice late resulted in the late ending causing a conflict elsewhere, those boxes would have advised with an on-screen message to allow you to stay in control and decide on an action appropriate to you.

So I then had to go to Catch-up which invoked BBC iPlayer to get to see the end. That process was so slow that you could hear the gears turning in the box. Not only did I have time to make a cup of tea, I did the washing up as well ...

When the revisions to the box's software were recently made, it was a golden opportunity to address some of the TiVo's shortcomings, but instead, it was all about adding more 'clever' features that have served only, as far as I can see, to slow down the box even more than its previous dismal performance.

Arfa

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box rant time again ...

<insert response given the last time we had this conversation Smiley Wink >

Agreed on the iPlayer app though.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank God we don't have a dynamic EPG to cope with the BBC's inability to schedule programmes correctly. I don't want my own recording schedule messed about by the consequences of last minute changes, most of which could be avoided by proper planning at the BBC end.

I anticipated that they would make a mess of things and adjusted my recordings appropriately, including extending the Apprentice programmes.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Arfa_Daily
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

But you shouldn't have to when the necessary data is presented by the broadcasting authorities for the express purpose of avoiding this. I don't hold the BBC responsible at all. Recording systems other than the TiVo would have coped just fine

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Arfa_Daily wrote:

But you shouldn't have to when the necessary data is presented by the broadcasting authorities for the express purpose of avoiding this. I don't hold the BBC responsible at all. Recording systems other than the TiVo would have coped just fine

But if I have multiple recordings scheduled a change in one channel with a programme starting and finishing later can affect recordings scheduled on other channels as they will retain their original start/end times and clashes can easily occur.

To meet your description the data for the other channels would need to be simultaneously amended but that will not happen as the channel schedules are independent of one another.

What other boxes can record three programmes at the one time?

I have never seen this as an issue on anything but the BBC.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone have any knowledge that systems with a dynamic EPG actually did operate correctly, remembering that BBC are the organisation that had to act?

I'm with @frank_gm in this. BBC are pathetic - they can't even start their 7:30 program on time - it always starts early.

V6 can record in 6 tuners. Imagine rescheduling all that if the BBC gets it wrong.

Just watching Watchdog. Not about TiVo but something called SkyQ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Just watching Watchdog. Not about TiVo but something called SkyQ?

FOUR things at once?!? Pffft Smiley Very Happy

Well if you will insist on only connecting your additional boxes wirelessly....

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What? You connect your TV to a box, Mini, with no tuners and the tuners for it are in a box you connect to by wifi! Really?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

What? You connect your TV to a box, Mini, with no tuners and the tuners for it are in a box you connect to by wifi! Really?

It's the future! Pushing up to 4 TV streams around an already horrendously congested wifi spectrum while the main box is wirelessly downloading OD content, as well as having DECT cordless phones in the house, and then to top it off someone decides to microwave some popcorn....

Who'da thunk that would ever be a realistic use case....

0 Kudos