Menu
1bellb
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box randomly asks for PIN

Hi,

I've been with Virgin for years and we've had the TiVo for quite some time now.  But several months ago, it just started randomly asking for the PIN when watching things.

Sometimes it can be when you select a channel, other times it can be while you're actually half way through watching something.

It doesn't do it often, but it does do it enough to be annoying.

I've checked all settings, including the normal settings and parental controls, and everything to do with the PIN is set to "off" apart from the purchase PIN.  But we aren't purchasing anything when it is asking for the PIN.

Does anyone know how to get this to stop?

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box randomly asks for PIN

I'd reboot it. That can often cure silly things like this. 

0 Kudos
1bellb
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately we know that doesn't work as we actually cut the power to the TiVo box every night. So it's rebooted on a daily basis.
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The box is designed to be left on at all times (only uses a tiny amount of power when in standby at night) so that it can perform housekeeping operations and so VM can push updates at night. I wonder whether this may be what is causing the odd pin behaviour?

You say it started a few months ago - would that coincide with the RC23 update? Perhaps this update has changed what needs to be done (as fas as housekeeping is concerned) and the fact you switch it off does not allow it to do its stuff overnight (when most people are not acitvely using the box).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
1bellb
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I honestly doubt that turning it off would be causing this odd PIN behavior.  I'm a computer programmer, and software issues like this shouldn't be caused by turning it off.  I'd be concerned with Virgin's capabilities as a company if it is caused by this.  The only issues I can think of with turning it off is possible hardware issues and as you stated with the housekeeping tasks which I would assume is based around optimizing the HDD.

Thanks for the message, but I do doubt that would be the cause of the problem.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It does sound odd. I made an assumption that the very latest RC24 pushed a few weeks after RC23 made some scheduling changes to make the menus more responsive and to reduce the lag (found on RC23 when the box had been up for a few days - so doubt you would have seen it if you switch the box off every night). I'm not entriely convinced that some of the bugs which only occassionally reared their ugly head on previous builds are now appearing more often.

I'm a software engineer (saftey critical and other stuff that I can't talk about) and it is quite surprising how seemingly inocuous changes can have a massive knock-on effect and break things that have worked for many years. We normally find that the bug had been found and reported many years earlier but due to the scheduling and interaction with other processes it was deemed not serious and/or could not be triggerred under normal circumstances (and not deemed worth fixing at the time) but other recent changes made elsewhere now mean it has to be fixed!

Concerning the overnight house keeping I assume it does garbage collection such as clearing out old recording hiccups. I know I have seen some oddities with planned recordings where clashes have not been resolved following several network connections during the day yet after being in standby overnight planned recordings has fixed itself. I don't think it does any HDD optimisation as is quite common with PVR's they use a a file system with an extremely large block size so that fragmentation is not a big problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

1bellb wrote:

I'd be concerned with Virgin's capabilities as a company if it is caused by this.

Just remembered this whilst I was out this afternoon...

You do remember they pushed an update to a large percentage of the customer base a few months ago that broke recording in standby (they issued a statement telling people to disable power saving and not to put the boxes in standby whilst they investigated and prepared a further update). I am also pretty sure they kept rolling the update out to further areas even after the problem was reported. If they can let a biggy like that slip through then a minor issue with the PIN is nothing!

0 Kudos