Menu
Phoebe142
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box making loud noise

New TiVo box installed today. The box itself is extremely noisy, there is a loud clicking sound over the tv at a decent volume. Noise stops when box is off/standby but not when switch back on, noise starts again. Extremely irritating, if this is normal i could not continue with this service. Need advice/problem sorting asap otherwise will have to cancel service.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box making loud noise

The noise you can hear is the HDD within the box buffering/recording the content so that you can pause and rewind it.

Personally I have to admit I don't notice it, but it may also depend exactly where you have it installed (i.e. in a cabinet which is amplifying the noise).

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Phoebe142
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ok but this isn't very helpful, are you saying it will always be this loud even if I switch for a new box? I don't see how they can sell that many with everyone putting u with this problem!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's possible, yes.

Where exactly do you have the box installed?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Phoebe142,

I just wanted to pop by and see how things are today.  Have you tried any measures to reduce the sound?  

I know some have placed little foam cushions under the feet of the box to help reduce any vibrations sounds if this is the case.

It does sound more like the HDD that's making the noise.  Sometimes placing foam cushions or something soft under the box can help.  If you have tried this but is continuing to be a nuisance, let me know and I can check further.

I'm here to help if you need anything.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos