Menu
SaraT
Joining in
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box makes a noise

My new TiVo box constantly makes a noise.  I can hear the hard drives running when watching tv or when the box is off and on stand by and nothing is being recorded.  An engineer says it is normal, but to me it sounds like I have been delivered an old P.C.  Any suggestions?  

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box makes a noise

All tivos do this, they are constantly buffering
0 Kudos
SaraT
Joining in
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler
I am not impressed with the attitude that we know this happens, tough.  It's interesting that this has been a problem since 2010. 
Spoiler

Spoiler

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

SaraT wrote:

I am not impressed with the attitude that we know this happens, tough.  It's interesting that this has been a problem since 2010. 

Hi SaraT,

The reason that the attitude is "we know this happens", is that's how the box is designed to work so would never be considered a problem - It is constantly buffering 3 channels for up to an hour to the HDD within the box to allow you to pause, rewind, or even record a show that's already started when you turn on the TV.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
chrisbeney
Joining in
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

'We know this happens' is a bit feeble, the lady says it sounds like an old PC. Is it just hard drive noise? Is there a fan that it might be? Is there actually a fan? Can one swap the hard drive for a quieter one or even a silent solid state one?

I speak as a potential customer who specifically went on line to find out how quiet it is.

CB

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

There is no fan, the box is rented and its against Terms and conditions to tamper with the hdd
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

chrisbeney wrote:

'We know this happens' is a bit feeble, the lady says it sounds like an old PC. Is it just hard drive noise? Is there a fan that it might be? Is there actually a fan? Can one swap the hard drive for a quieter one or even a silent solid state one?

I speak as a potential customer who specifically went on line to find out how quiet it is.

CB

Hi chrisbeneny,

• Is it just hard drive noise?
    Unless there are some serious issues with the electronics in the box, yes
  • Is there a fan that it might be? Is there actually a fan?
    Nope.
  • Can one swap the hard drive for a quieter one or even a silent solid state one?
    Well technically, a 1TB TiVo will be quieter than a 500GB TiVo because the heads have to move half as much to read/write the same amount of data.
    As for swapping anything, it's not your box to mess with to start with; however when VM TiVo was launched/designed, a 1TB SSD would set you back ~£1500! So for the next 5 years or so an SSD isn't even worth considering. Plus an HDD will survive orders of magnitude more read/write cycles than an SSD, which is far better for box longevity!

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
chrisbeney
Joining in
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for both very quick replies. Glad there is no fan. Hard drives of different make vary in noise when operating, and can be part-silenced with mounting and boxing-in (subject to heating). That may already have been done. 500GB ssd drives are reasonable price now, but I had forgotten about possible life issues if data transfer is continuously taking place. And non-ownership!

Anyone measured decibels at say two metres?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

chrisbeney wrote:

Anyone measured decibels at say two metres?

Not measured, but minimal noise, though it is purely subjective to the installation - if you're installing the box in an open-fronted TV cabinet, then you've just placed it in a sound box which will amplify and focus the sound in whatever direction it happens to be pointing!

We have a 1TB box in the bedroom, and yes it can be heard when sleeping, but it is also sat on a piece of MDF perched on top of a 21" CRT tv, so the TV itself is acting as the sound box. Were this replaced with a flatscreen and it was possible to rest the box on its feet on a solid surface (as is the case with the box downstairs), then I wouldn't expect to hear it at all.

0 Kudos
DavidF1940
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Referencee has been made to the need for the HDD to run all the time for back-up etc to work. But is this true even when the box is on stanbye (ie effectively 'off') and no programme is selected?

Taking power to drive HDD's, and wearing them out, are not very green attributes. Does anyone know the stanbye power consumption of the 1GB TiVo?

David

0 Kudos