Menu
ivy4
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box is whirring so loud I can't hear the programmes. 1st day of installation

it's my first day of installation and am just sitting down to watch to but the hard drive of the TiVo box is whirring so loud I can't hear the programmes. I'm not recording or watching a recording, just watching live tv. I understand it has moving parts but my sky box and my computer hard drives are never this loud. this is not acceptable for a brand new box. what can I do

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box is whirring so loud I can't hear the programmes. 1st day of installation

Hi there ivy4, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm sorry to see that your first impression of our TiVo® service hasn't been a really good one. 

I've done some testing and can see no reason why you should be experiencing such a noise, the hard drive is not reporting any issues. I'd have to ask if you pick the TiVo® up whilst it's making this noise, as it could be the vibrations of the TiVo® being echoed by the surface it's sat upon, if the noise stops when you pick it up then this would back up this thought. 

Please let me know. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ivy4
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box is whirring so loud I can't hear the programmes. 1st day of installation

Hi Huw. Thanks for your reply.

I've had a look around the forum and seen this suggestion before so I have tried that. The hard drive is still loud when picked up so it's not just the echo. I currrently have it sitting on a soft towel to try to dampen the noise but it is still too loud to enjoy quiet programmes. If i was just watching Jason Staham films all the time i might get away with it but for any quieter programmes it's not good.

cheers

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ivy4, 

Thank you for posting your comment back to the Community Smiley Happy

Thanks for trying out what Huw mentioned here and I'm sorry that this is still going on. I've been checking the box again and things are looking well with no issues that would give this effect on the TiVo. 

While i was running some tests I was able to see that any broadband you have in the home may be affected by a fault. I'd like to have this looked into further. I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little red envelope near the top left of the page.

Get back to me when you can.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ivy4,

Thanks for finding me here. I've been looking at your connection on the broadband and can see that your Upstream power levels are off what they should be.

As such, I'd really like to arrange an engineer and possible to take a look at the box while they are there. If the find a hardware fault with the TiVo, they will replace the TiVo.  Watching your shows on the hard drive would be advised before the visit. Are you available for one of the following?:-

Monday to Friday - 8am-12noon, 12noon-4pm or 4pm-7pm; 
Saturday 8am-12noon or 12noon-4pm.

Also just so I've got everything I need to arrange this, can you pop me over some details?:-

• Name on account:
  • Virgin email address:

Thank you

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
ivy4
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben. Thanks for getting back to me. I can do monday to friday 8-12.

The name on the account is mr [MOD EDIT]  but I haven't set up a virgin email account

thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ivy4,

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

I have booked an appointment for you.

All the details are in a private message I'll send to you now.  (Look for the envelope icon above)

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos