Menu
D1m3b4g
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box is pretty awful - can I get a replacement?

Hi

Ive viewed a few threads this evening and it seems like a lot of the common complaints people have ... Well I'm experiencing all of them. 

Firstly id id like to understand why I'm paying additional money for HD channels but the TiVo box appears incapable of outputting at 1080p? The highest native option I have is 720p with a possibility of going to an up scaled 1080i ... Which the box never uses (the TV displays the resolution). 

So so this leads me onto my second point, image quality. Every HD is noticeably poor and nowhere near quality of free view HD or Sky HD. I suspect this is simply because the box only displays 720p? Again... It seems a little bit of a cheek to charge me for HD channels when I'm not actually getting a single 1080p full HD source.

Im experiencing other issues too that others have reported. My newest Cisco branded TiVo box I have in my bedroom is so loud at points I have to physically move it or turn it off. The hard drive seems to make a hell of a noise and it's not really what I'd expect from a supposed cutting edge box. The box I have in my living room is also painfully slow and subject to weird traits. Earlier on for instance it decided to stop displaying preview text about shows in the guide and then wouldn't let me OK or record anything ... Or generally respond at all until I pulled the power. 

For a 120 quid a month service I'm not impressed. Especially at the lack of true HD and poor image quality. 

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box is pretty awful - can I get a replacement?

No tv chnnel is above 1080i and Netflix is at 1080p - TiVo does output both of thes just fine.   You are not getting 1080p tv from any source.

I've put cushioned pads under my Sky and TiVo boxes which seems to have blanketed the noise.

D1m3b4g wrote:

Hi

Ive viewed a few threads this evening and it seems like a lot of the common complaints people have ... Well I'm experiencing all of them. 

Firstly id id like to understand why I'm paying additional money for HD channels but the TiVo box appears incapable of outputting at 1080p? The highest native option I have is 720p with a possibility of going to an up scaled 1080i ... Which the box never uses (the TV displays the resolution). 

So so this leads me onto my second point, image quality. Every HD is noticeably poor and nowhere near quality of free view HD or Sky HD. I suspect this is simply because the box only displays 720p? Again... It seems a little bit of a cheek to charge me for HD channels when I'm not actually getting a single 1080p full HD source.

Im experiencing other issues too that others have reported. My newest Cisco branded TiVo box I have in my bedroom is so loud at points I have to physically move it or turn it off. The hard drive seems to make a hell of a noise and it's not really what I'd expect from a supposed cutting edge box. The box I have in my living room is also painfully slow and subject to weird traits. Earlier on for instance it decided to stop displaying preview text about shows in the guide and then wouldn't let me OK or record anything ... Or generally respond at all until I pulled the power. 

For a 120 quid a month service I'm not impressed. Especially at the lack of true HD and poor image quality. 

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
D1m3b4g
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Fair point on the other services not being 1080p either, I didn't actually realise.

The point I'm trying to make though (and I notice others have done the same) is the picture quality compared to other services is sub standard. Really sub standard.

I was watching NHL hockey in HD on sky back in 2008/2009 and it was crystal, the HD channels I've now got on Virgin are far less detailed than my previous sky service or freeview HD.

Could this be the Tivo box or just the bitrate that virgin broadcast the channels at?

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

There may be slight differences in bitrates  -   have to changed the tv picture settings since adding TiVo.

To get Sky and TiVo looking the same - I had quite different settings on each HDMI input.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos