Menu
Jonathann6543
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box is incredibly slow

Since the recent update, the TiVo box is very slow. It can take 10-20 seconds to play a recording or to open the TV guide. This is awful performance. The box was never quick, but I would prefer to lose the extra features and go back to something that was remotely usable.
Tags (2)
oldgit
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box is incredibly slow

Same problem here.Totally fed up now with Virgin lack of service.I've been here since the days of cable tel but won't be for much longer.They even have the cheek to tell me I will soon be paying another £3 + per month for the lack of service.

Sorry to burst your bubble Virgin but I won't.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Both,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post and apologies to hear your TiVo® boxes are running slow. 

The first thing to try is giving them a reboot to see if this helps. Also, go through your recorded content and remove anything that you no longer want on there. Has this made any difference? 

Finally, try this key sequence: Home > Thumbs down > Thumbs up > Play > Play > Play. It clears the cache on the TiVo®. Essentially, the TiVo® stores data that it uses fairly often in the cache so it can be called upon quickly. Clearing the cache removes all the background data freeing up some of the TiVo®'s memory.

Give these actions a try and come back and let us know how things go as we're here to help Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jonathann6543
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for your reply. I've cleared the cache as requested and there has been a small performance improvement. It now probably takes 10-15 seconds to open recordings and switch between the guide and my shows.

To be honest it feels like the processor is being asked to do too much. If we could turn off some background processes that we never use, such as the suggestions feature, perhaps this would help. I have to say that I would have much preferred you to not bother with the update and not charge me an extra £3.50 for the privilege.