Menu
AllTimeMitch
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Split/Partial Recordings

Hey community!

So I've noticed lately on my 1TB TiVo that some programming is not recording in full but instead is recording in two split recordings with around 5 or so minutes cut out where they should have been joined. I've only noticed this on my WWE Raw recording from this week but from speaking with my parents, they have noticed it quite regularly with programming on ITV such as Emmerdale. As I only use my downstairs box for recording, I'm unsure if this also happens on my personal TiVo.

I'm going to try switching the box off for a few minutes and then switch it back on to see if this helps but I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced the same problem and what may cause it. I was wondering if this could be caused by signal levels and if someone could let me know what they should be at so I can compare my own until a Virgin Media admin could test my boxes for any faults.

Many thanks!

- Mitch

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Split/Partial Recordings

It means that the box rebooted during the recording, this could be a signal issue or a box fault

0 Kudos
AllTimeMitch
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:
It means that the box rebooted during the recording, this could be a signal issue or a box fault

Thanks, @dannylau

The box doesn't seems to be playing up in any other way so I'm unsure on whether it could be a fault with the TiVo. Do you have any advice to pass on for the signal issue that I could look at myself? Or will I have to await someone from Virgin to come on the forums and take a look?

- Mitch

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy  I'm sorry that some of your recordings have been snipped off too early.  

I'll be happy to help with this.  I have taken a look at both your set top boxes remotely, all looks great with the signal and power levels.

Have you had any occasions where the box has rebooted by itself whilst you've been watching live TV?

Let me know and I can help further. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
AllTimeMitch
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Collette_T wrote:

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy  I'm sorry that some of your recordings have been snipped off too early.  

I'll be happy to help with this.  I have taken a look at both your set top boxes remotely, all looks great with the signal and power levels.

Have you had any occasions where the box has rebooted by itself whilst you've been watching live TV?

Let me know and I can help further. Smiley Happy

Hey Collette,

Thanks for having a look for me.

The weird part is the recordings are not being snipped, well they are, but the TiVo then picks the recording back up so it's only a few minutes missed but during something important such as wrestling, that could be the end of the match lost. I will post a picture in a few minutes so you can take a look if the recordings are still available to undelete. The TiVo has always appeared to work fine, it's never restarted or froze and always wakes up fine. It's just the split recordings that are odd.

I restarted my TiVo yesterday and so far today everything seems to be recording fine and will keep an eye on it over the next week or two to see if it happens again. If it does, do you have any suggestions I can try on my end before I need to report this as a potential problem with the box.

Cheers,

- Mitch

0 Kudos
AllTimeMitch
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi everyone.

So this happened again, twice actually.

Earlier this week a recording from BBC2 (not sure of the name) only recorded 5 minutes and just randomly stopped. Then from this morning, my WWE Raw recording is split between two again but the first half has picture and no sound and then the second half says it's recorded an hour but it literally just skips from the first second to the end, there is nothing in between.

I'm unhappy at the moment as I now have to wait until Wednesday night for the repeat version of WWE Raw to air and to make it worse, it's cut down from three hours to two hours.

As we've sort of clarified it's not a signal problem, is there any chance I could get an engineer booked to replace my TiVo box please? I really can't be seeing this as normal and the fact that my box has recorded an hour of something that I can't actually view, I'm positive it's a problem with the box now.

Cheers!

- Mitch

0 Kudos
mike_gain
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

AllTimeMitch wrote:

Hi everyone.

So this happened again, twice actually.

Earlier this week a recording from BBC2 (not sure of the name) only recorded 5 minutes and just randomly stopped. Then from this morning, my WWE Raw recording is split between two again but the first half has picture and no sound and then the second half says it's recorded an hour but it literally just skips from the first second to the end, there is nothing in between.

I'm unhappy at the moment as I now have to wait until Wednesday night for the repeat version of WWE Raw to air and to make it worse, it's cut down from three hours to two hours.

As we've sort of clarified it's not a signal problem, is there any chance I could get an engineer booked to replace my TiVo box please? I really can't be seeing this as normal and the fact that my box has recorded an hour of something that I can't actually view, I'm positive it's a problem with the box now.

Cheers!

- Mitch

Are the effected recordings between midnight and sat 7am?

The reason I ask is that a few of us have noticed that our TiVO boxes are automatically and periodically rebooted overnight. The only reason I was aware of this was because both my boxes are sometimes "on" as is two green lights as opposed to standby. if it happens really early in the morning you may not notice if it you have power saving enabled as any rebooted box would go back into standby within a matter of hours.

As far as I understand, but you'd need to get this clarified for yourself, these reboots are not unplanned and are part of VM's maintenance.

0 Kudos
AllTimeMitch
Dialled in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

mike_gain wrote:
Are the effected recordings between midnight and sat 7am?

The reason I ask is that a few of us have noticed that our TiVO boxes are automatically and periodically rebooted overnight. The only reason I was aware of this was because both my boxes are sometimes "on" as is two green lights as opposed to standby. if it happens really early in the morning you may not notice if it you have power saving enabled as any rebooted box would go back into standby within a matter of hours.

As far as I understand, but you'd need to get this clarified for yourself, these reboots are not unplanned and are part of VM's maintenance.

Hey Mike,

The one recording was during the week at around 8 or 9 ish at night. My wrestling failed this Tuesday morning at 1am. I don't mind split recordings as it may only be 5 minutes lost but the problem is this one has literally lost me an hour worth of content because the second recording is an hour long of nothing. I can't even view the hour of nothing because it doesn't play, it just skips straight from the beginning to the end. If it is planned maintenance, I wouldn't mind but there is nowhere to view this and nobody actually seems to respond to posts with issues. Just a bunch of posts from today have been responded to asking if they are okay and thanks for letting us know it's resolved.

I have since fixed the problem with the audio, it appears to be a Dolby Digital issue and luckily working for an audio company has it's perks so I have an HDMI to optical convertor spare which I can use to route my home theatre system back into the TiVo.

- Mitch

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi AllTimeMitch, 

Thanks for coming back and updating your thread. 

I've taken a look at the account today to see what's going on and i'm not seeing anything that could be causing this. As there's no fault being picked up, we're not able to book an engineer. 

The only thing I can think about it giving us a call, as soon as it happens so we can test the box live to see if there is anything showing. 

At the moment we're only able to see how the box is performing currently. If the issue is intermittent it's unlikely we'll catch it so phoning in would be your best bet. 

You can reach the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
AllTimeMitch
Dialled in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hey guys,

Just an update.

I did call in and the team in Wales? Did take a look at my TiVo box and couldn't detect any problems so they suspect that some cabinets may be having work done to them that has interrupted my service. They also believe that it could just be a formatting problem and until I run a full format on my TiVo, they can't send out a replacement for it. They did however have me try the following...

TiVo > Help & Settings > Clear or Reset TiVo box

- Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions

- Clear Programme Info & Planned Recs

Apparently these two can clean up any bad recordings from the HDD and also reset the planned recordings which can help and so far it seems to. Will keep you updated on if it happens again but so far it seems to be working okay.

- Mitch

0 Kudos