Menu
craig_read
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Sound Problem

There is a problem with my TiVo box, basically when I playback a recording and pause, fast forward or rewind there is a high chance I will lose audio on that playback. The only way to restore it is to stop the playback and then start again and sound returns.

The TiVo is connected to an AVR via HDMI.

I can confirm that this is not related to cables, these have been checked on other equipment and confirmed to work without issue. I can confirm it is not the other connected equipment; multiple HDMI ports tried no change, other equipment connected works without issue.

It also appears that this issue is well documented on the Internet on a number of forums, an example is shown below (there are others):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/after-coming-out-of-pause-there-is-no-sound...

I have tried the remedies suggested here, that is using PCM as the audio output, this however does not resolve my issue. Can someone from technical support tell me how to fix this problem? My contract with Virgin is up and if this can't be sorted I will be looking for a different supplier for broadband, television and phone.

Regards

Craig

0 Kudos
TheRazzaG
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Sound Problem

I had the exact same problem as you, had to restart recordings to get the sound back. I did however have to make sure both my TV and TiVo box were set to pcm, for a while I had changed TiVo to pcm but not TV settings and it was causing the issue. I was using a sound bar with HDMI passthrough for the record!
0 Kudos
craig_read
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Sound Problem

I have found a work around in my case but I am unsure if everyone else will have the same level of control in terms of access to "settings".  Essentially I set my AVR to always assume the audio was coming through HDMI, and not auto detect.  As far as I can tell this is a handshaking issue with the TiVo box.  This is my understanding of what is happening.

When you pause or fast forward etc TiVo stops sending audio, the receiver stops processing and in some cases turns off its decoder.  I think this depends on the type of receiver you have.  When you unpause or,continue playback the TiVo does not rehandshake with the receiver to instruct it that it is transmitting the digital audio stream, therefore the receiver sits waiting in an  analogue mode and consequently no audio is processed.  If you switch source and return to the TiVo source the handshake takes place and the receiver processes the audio.  I think this is basically what is happening.  I could get audio back by hanging the processing mode manually as well.  In my case I set the receiver to always use HDMI digital input for audio from TiVo and never auto detect.  Since I did this I have had no audio loss, I will report back if this workaround fails.  So far with testing it is stable.

Note that I do not have to be in PCM mode for this to work either.  If you are having similar problems and you are able to do so force HDMI audio and stop auto detection, hopefully this will resolve it.  Ideally a fix should be applied.

Regards

0 Kudos