Menu
JulianMHall
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Slower After Firmware Update.

Hi All,

I expect by now everyone has suffered the firmware update. (Why the heck was it necessary to change the colour anyway? It's not even a VM palette now).

As longtime users will know the TiVo has not been a particularly fast beast for a long time.  However now VM have dealt one from the bottom of the pack and made it even slower than it already was.  My impression is that VM have piled on more and more powerful firmware without taking any account of the fact that the TiVo hardware is not capable of running it at a decent speed.

Kind regards,

Julian

Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Slower After Firmware Update.

As they pile on more features and Apps the slower it gets. Thing is few people use these Apps/gimmicks, they just want to watch and record TV (weird I know). VM have got their priorities wrong.

Rebooting can help speed it up temporarily but it soon slows down again Smiley Sad
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator

JulianMHall wrote:

Hi All,

I expect by now everyone has suffered the firmware update. (Why the heck was it necessary to change the colour anyway? It's not even a VM palette now).

Kind regards,

Julian

....actually - it is now indeed inline with VM's current colour branding. The website and  VM's TV Anywhere apps, have all gone through the same colour change - from Virgin Media red, to Virgin Media Plum!!  Not sure of the reason for this but there you go!

JulianMHall
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi Deans,

I just noticed the bar at the bottom of the page is now Plum with Red writing.  Great colour combo...

Julian

0 Kudos
TonyBrooks
Dialled in
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

If the colour isn't Plum etc then it is an immediate indication that the box has NOT received a specific upgrade for some reason, possibly because it has been tinkered with.  The upgrade did more than change the colours believe me.

0 Kudos
JulianMHall
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

I know it did more than change the colour palette, that was just the visible cue that they'd tinkered with it again.  I wish they'd take a cue from Microsoft - and believe me I never thought I'd say those words! - and produce an upgrade that works better, e.g. Vista -> Windows 7.

Cheers,

Julian

0 Kudos
TonyBrooks
Dialled in
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

It was something much more fundamental that was changed as a security provision.

0 Kudos
JulianMHall
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Whatever it was, for whatever reason,  doesn't alter my original point.  The update has made the box noticeably slower in operation.

0 Kudos
marrtin
Superfast
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator

You're right, it has slowed it down noticeably. I had hoped the new upgrade would fix some of the annoying problems it has such as the auto delete indicator and not being able to distinguish newly recorded programmes. But it was not to be and is all very disappointing.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Hello there JulianMHall, 

I would first of all apologise for the delay in getting back to you on this post. Initially after the firmware upgrade we did find that some customers said things were running slower, however a full reboot of the TiVo® normally fixed this. I am sorry to hear this has not worked in your case. 

I have run some testing and can not see any reason why things should be running slow for you. The hard drive and all levels are reporting back fine. I can see that the box has been rebooted recently, so would like to ask if (when convenient) you power off the TiVo® for about 10 minutes and then start it back up. It can take up to an hour to come back to proper speed, so please leave it for a while, then test.

If it is still running slow at that point, could you please let me know. 

Many thanks and apologies again 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos