Menu
JohnWMentor
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Slow and Crashing

I know other people have had this problem but my TiVo has been extremely slow, especially when I first go to use it either in the morning or evening. But this morning it actually froze whilst trying to load a channel before completely crashing and needing several minutes to restart.

A few months ago, I read a help article saying you could reset the TiVo to factory settings in order to speed it up, which I tried. However, it has obviously only been a temporary fix. I was wondering if there was anything Virgin could do about it? I've had the TiVo since I first joined Virgin Media many years ago, so I've never had it replaced or had any work done on it. I've not got much saved on it if it does need replacing or worked-on.

maximmixam
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Slow and Crashing

I noticed this too. Almost overnight a couple of months ago my box started reacting really slowly to what I pressing on the remote/going black between screens. I assumed that my settings may have slowed it down, and it was about 70% full. However I hoped that when I moved and got a new TiVo box the problem would go away - but brand new box and the same problem...

not sure if there's a fix, but it's pretty clunky at the mo!
0 Kudos
crypticc
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Is that either a recording or live pause recorded between 10 and 15 minutes past the hour or when you're watching at about 10 to 15 minutes past the hour and normally accompanied by the machine grinding to a halt and whatever is being recorded or being watched pixelating? (The offending allow maybe a suggestion not necessarily set by yourself)

If so it is an officially unacknowledged but well known issue on this forum. Never happened on my Cisco but has happened on both replacement Samsung boxes that seem to struggle recording and playing back at the same time.  Getting my fourth box tomorrow and if that doesn't work well ask for the fifth, sixth, etc and will make this as expensive for Virgin as I possibly can.

If it is just a hanging then that is a similarly well known issue and apparently there's a temporary fix that involves wiping your cached epg.

But no update on how to make vm give a proper fix to you

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Slow-Tivo-box-solved/td-p/3204952

----------------------------------------------------------
OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA in my SE London area 21 running since 2009, but potentially on its way to being resolved although still only 1/5th of advertised speed at times

Original TiVo video output scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings Scaling Bug

The day it started to go wrong again 2017

0 Kudos
JohnWMentor
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It seems to happen at random times but is slowest when trying to actually turn it on (from standby) in the morning or any other time of the day when it's not been on for several hours.

As I noted in my previous post, I've tried completely resetting/clearing my TiVo. This didn't really do much. But I guess I could try the other options mentioned in that linked post.

0 Kudos
maximmixam
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mine seems to be at any time! E.g when in the guide/my shows and tv is showing in top right corner, it takes a good 10 seconds when I want to return live tv/recorded show.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello JohnWMentor,

Thanks for posting and I can see that the community have been very helpful here.

From the description you have given I would like to arrange for someone to take a look at this for you so if you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will see a message waiting for you with further information.

Speak to you soon.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide