Menu
charmstrong70
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Recordings and bad hard disk drives

Hi,

Quick question about the problems with recording programs and rewinding - the stutter and pixilation?

Is that really caused by hard drive failures?

I rang the Virgin helpline and a nice girl said she could see problems with my hard drives (i've two boxes) and arranged for an engineer to come out and replace my box(es).

An engineer came, told me the people on the phone couldn't see if there were hard drive problems and it wouldn't fix the problems I was having. He then left after saying there was no point in swapping the box.

I cancelled the same day and no one even bothered to ask me why!

Anyway, long story short, Sky are just as bad - had an engineer come out today, say he didn't have enough time to install my service and I'd need to reschedule! Only dates are for after my service finishes with Virgin.

If I can fix the problems with not being able to watch any recordings, i'd be reasonably happy. Obviously not as happy as if they could fix the slow on-demand and what not but the recordings would be a start.

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Recordings and bad hard disk drives

My replacement box sorted the stuttering/freezing.
So hard drive was the likely issue.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi charmstrong70,

Thanks fro posting!

I'm really sorry to hear the trouble you've had with this.

I'm not sure why the technician would have said that. We have a few ways to diagnose a TiVo® hard drive fault, from drive temperature to corrupt/ remapped sectors.

I've run these diagnostics on your box and picked up multiple drive failures as well as an issue with the input signal that may need to be adjusted. I've sent you a private message3 (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange for a technician to sort this out for you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
charmstrong70
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to you both for responding. 

I guess it was the engineer that was not clear that he could of resolved this by replacing the box.

I've managed to sort my problems with Sky so i'm just going to move forward with that.

0 Kudos