Menu
sanderson73
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Netflix is STILL at 25%

We have recently started getting plaqueg with the "25% Red Ring" when using Netflix on our TiVo box and despite numerous reboots of the box and router, the problem persists.

Looking through these forums, I see that VM have maintained a "we are aware of this" and a "periods of high usage" crap for well over TWO YEARS without there ever being (that I could find) one example where they appear to have fixed it.

We pay a fair amount for the TiVo, landline and broadband package, topped with a Netflix contract across multiple devices and aren't getting an overall service that meets basic demands of the customer.

To those (who don't work at VM) who feel the urge to reply, we are also aware of the "pressing [back] and try again" trick ... it's not really a trick; it's an act of desperation in some hope of trying to get things working, doesn't always work and isn't actually a "fix"

Unless VM can pull their finger out and get us running with a "smooth and reliable" Netflix service in the next couple of weeks, we'll be pulling the plug on the whole deal and moving across to Sky.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Netflix is STILL at 25%

Hi sanderson73,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that we haven't been able to bring a solution for the Netflix issue just yet.  Whilst it has been ongoing for a while, we are still working to resolve this.  At the moment we don't have any time frames to offer right now.

I know this won't be the news you were hoping for.  I did want to pop by and let you know that we are still working to resolve this.

We do still like to check for any other possible underlying issues that may be contributing to the issue like checking for signal/power level problems and network issues as well.  If you'd like me to check this out for you then please let me know.  I haven't been able to locate your account so I haven't been able to check your connection as yet.  

I will send you a private message requesting further details.  If you'd like me to check your connection for you, please reply to the message.  You'll find the private message by clicking on the purple envelope icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sanderson73
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Netflix is STILL at 25%

I would suggest that VM Management organise a staff briefing and pass on the information that is available.

Having spoken to someone who is far more technical than the VM frontline staff, he gave me a thorough explanation of the problem with TiVo and it's streamed services.

I now understand that all responses from first line support along the lines of, we need to check your line/equipment, we don't what it is, we're fixing it, reboot your hub, etc are WRONG

Streamed services (Netflix, BBC iPlayer and YouTube) are running on a separate network (DOCSYS) with a very limited bandwidth. This means that demand significantly reduces the service, to the point where, at peak times it's falling below the 80% bandwidth threshold.

Second line technical told me that if it falls below 80% for too long, they'll upgrade the lines to the WHOLE area, but that takes months as they have to dig up the roads (and get permission to do that)

Obviously, if it stays above the 80% for a period of time, VM consider it acceptable and won't do anything.

Somewhat different from "reboot the hub, to fix", isn't it?!?
0 Kudos