Menu
griffo99
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Keeps Spinning Up/Down

Hi all,

I've noticed recently my TiVo box keeps randomly spinning its disc up for about 5-10 seconds and then spins down again. The same thing will happen several time, however the time between each spin up seems to vary. Sometimes it happens in quick succession, other times 30 minutes or more.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening as it's becoming annoying? Especially at night when all you can hear is the box constantly spinning up!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Keeps Spinning Up/Down

griffo99 wrote:

Hi all,

I've noticed recently my TiVo box keeps randomly spinning its disc up for about 5-10 seconds and then spins down again. The same thing will happen several time, however the time between each spin up seems to vary. Sometimes it happens in quick succession, other times 30 minutes or more.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening as it's becoming annoying? Especially at night when all you can hear is the box constantly spinning up!

Thanks.

Interesting. One of our boxes (a Cisco) also does this since the update. It was fine before and I could happily put it into standby and it would only spin up to perform its usual network connection every few hours, but the day it was updated I noticed immediately the first time I put it into standby that it kept spinning up and down. Since then I have kept it on permanently as it is a bedroom box and the constant spin up/down is very annoying.

I have monitored it over 15 minutes and after going into standby and spinning down, every 2 to 3 minutes it spins up for 5 secs before spinning down although sometimes it will also spin up/down twice in short succession (i.e. only 30 seconds apart at the most).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
griffo99
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yea this sounds like its the same issue as mine.

Just checked what versions of the software we are currently running:

Platform: 8620
Hardware: 9.1
Software: 20.5.7.RC23-VMC-2-C00

Also checked what settings there are, but nothing stands out for standby, apart from if the suggested shows are recorded. Currently this is set to off.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi griffo99,

I've been asked to look into the issue reported with the TiVo disc spinning, which is creating excess noise and being (understandably) irritating. I'm sorry that you haven't had an update from us about this problem.

I've checked with our techs on this and they've come back asking me to send more information on your TiVo. 

First of all, are you still having this problem? 

If this is still ongoing, I'll need to check the power settings: Help & Settings > Settings > Devices >Power Saving Settings.

If "Off" is chosen, please choose another option, as the box should spin down when placed into standby.

Please let me know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
griffo99
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri,

I think the issue has now been resolved. After speaking to one of your tech guys, they told me to power off the box for 2 minutes and then power it back up again. They have also adjusted some of the power settings on your end for my box as well.

So far, I haven't really noticed the box spinning up/down as much as it was before, so I'll keep an eye on this.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi griffo99,

That's great news--hopefully it has fixed the problem. I'll check back with you in a few days to see how it's going. Cheers for getting back to me.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hiya griffo99,

Just checking back to see how it's going with the TiVo. Has the spinning problem improved?

Thanks,

Terri

0 Kudos
UNKNOWN
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All VM Tivos have done this since the "power saving" features were introduced, it is part of the firmware. The problem won't just "go away by itself" unless VM fix it.

0 Kudos
griffo99
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri,

So far so good, no complaints. I don't know whether the constant spinning up/down has had an effect on the disc in the box, but it seems very slow when navigating the EPG or for example switching from Recordings back to TV or to EPG. This can take ~10 seconds sometimes!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi griffo,

The TiVo slowness is an issue that our technicians have been working on. We are releasing a fix update that should be rolled out to all areas within the next two to three weeks, so hopefully you won't have to suffer with the slowness for too much longer--sorry about the inconvenience this causes.

Just to double check that there isn't any other underlying issue with your TiVo, I've just re-run testing to the box and it all looks good--no issue seen.

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos