Menu
mhazley
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

TiVo DNS settings

Hi, 

I have been toying with getting a device for my TV that I can run Netflix and the various UK catch up stuff like iPlayer etc. 

Thing is, I'd quite like to get something that has some actual live channels on it as well. 

So, am reading that TiVo from Virgin Media now supports Netflix and I'm thinking thats great!

But... I would want to access the American Netflix via a DNS change so what I want to know is this: "Is it possible to change the DNS settings of the TiVo box? Or does it not expose that option?

If it does, it ticks all my boxes. 

If it does not, I'll probably sack the live channels and get myself a Roku. 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo DNS settings

You can't change the Tivo's DNS

0 Kudos
mhazley
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Well... that blows!

0 Kudos
derbypub
Joining in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Is there a valid reason why this cannot be changed, I can change it on all other devices we run from our virgin internet conection,

Example -:

My Computer

My iPad

My son and daughters x-box

All these devices now pickup USA Netflix ( much much better than UK ) using a different DNS and all very easy to change

I must say though, if I want to change the settings in my TiVo then I should be able to do this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Those are all devices you own. TiVo is rented from Virgin Media, and Netflix is on TiVo as part of a commercial agreement between Netflix and Virgin Media.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

derbypub wrote:

Is there a valid reason why this cannot be changed, I can change it on all other devices we run from our virgin internet conection,

Example -:

My Computer

My iPad

My son and daughters x-box

All these devices now pickup USA Netflix ( much much better than UK ) using a different DNS and all very easy to change

I must say though, if I want to change the settings in my TiVo then I should be able to do this.

Yes, yes I mean apart from Bens reply (totally accurate)

You should be allowed to infringe Netflix's TOS all you want. And VM should REALLY give you a hand to do it. I mean I know its not a criminal offence, simply a civil one. SO they should TOTALLY provide you with the means to do it. While they are at it, they should probably start their own torrent tracker too....

0 Kudos
derbypub
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There is  nothing illegal about any of it, I pay Netflix and when I access the U.S. Site they know I am, so it's not even a Sival matter,  when you access the site they just let you know there will be a difference to what you normally view, so where you get that load of rubbish from I don't know.

All I am asking is why can't it be changed, there must be a valid reason

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

derbypub wrote:

Virgin Media TiVo carries UK content only as part of Virgin Media's commercial agreements. Therefore there is no need for the DNS entries to be changed.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

derbypub wrote:

There is  nothing illegal about any of it, I pay Netflix and when I access the U.S. Site they know I am, so it's not even a Sival matter,  when you access the site they just let you know there will be a difference to what you normally view, so where you get that load of rubbish from I don't know.

Now you are just being silly.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/digital-home/3468981/how-watch-us-netflix-in-uk-pc-xbox-playstatio...

C&P from there ....

This is officially naughty and almost certainly against Netflix's T&Cs, which says "You also agree not to: circumvent, remove, alter, deactivate, degrade or thwart any of the content protections in the Netflix service" – and could get you banned.

Never inferred it was a criminal matter (common interpretation of illegal)- In fact I took time to point out the difference.

It most certainly infringes their TOS and they may come after you with severe civil penalties (translation- large fine) if you are caught doing it. Its unlikely, but at the end of the day they WILL start banning accounts doing it.

Ignorance of the law does not preclude prosecution under it.....

Just sayin...

0 Kudos
derbypub
Joining in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

derbypub wrote:

Virgin Media TiVo carries UK content only as part of Virgin Media's commercial agreements. Therefore there is no need for the DNS entries to be changed.

Thank you for that, a valid reason, that's all I asked, thanks again

0 Kudos