Menu
Truestepper
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TiVo Box says detected serious error

After what seemed like random crashing, the TiVo box now keeps restarting itself around 5 times a day and comes back up with a green screen with the message about detecting a serious error and needing 3 hours to fix it.

It's started to affect our recordings. Is there anyway to fix it?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo Box says detected serious error

Your hard drive is failing you'll need to book an engineer to replace your box

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Truestepper, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've encountered this error with your TiVo® and I'd love to help you out. 

As dannylau states, this does sound like the hard drive has failed and a replacement would be needed. Upon checking your account, I can see that someone has called in regarding this, and this is being dealt with. 

Please let me know how this goes for you. 

Apologies once again.

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Truestepper
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Huw,

Many thanks for the reply. We called up yesterday and the lady in support said she would send us a replacement box to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm assuming we can install this ourselves without an engineer? I'm pretty technical :-)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Truestepper, 

Thanks for coming back and letting me know, it is quite easy to swap the box over, you just connect the old coax wire up and then phone the number that comes with the box. 

Please ensure that you do not power on the box until you've called the number, and also use the power cable that comes with the new box, rather than the old one, as although they may look the same there is a possibility that it is a different make box. 

Any problems, let me know. 

Cheers

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Truestepper
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Huw,

The new Tivo box arrived this evening. Quickie question before we set it all up.....is a new remote supposed to be included in the box? (as there isn't one). Will the old remote work with the new box?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Remotes are supplied separately, the old remote will work just fine 

Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Truestepper, 

Glad to here that the new box arrived safe and sound, I apologise for the delay in getting back to you on this. As Dannylau states, the old remote control will work just fine.

Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.

Huw

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Truestepper wrote:
Hi Huw,

Many thanks for the reply. We called up yesterday and the lady in support said she would send us a replacement box to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. I'm assuming we can install this ourselves without an engineer? I'm pretty technical :-)

Interesting. I requested this back in January when our HDD was failing on one of our boxes but I was told faulty boxes had to be swapped by an engineer. Have they just started doing this (i.e. taking the same approach as a self install but I assume supplying packaging to return the faulty box)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos