Menu
psims
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TiVO getting slower

Once upon a time our TiVO was quite responsive - now there are increasing delays doing anything outside of playing a recorded programme. This seems to have got noticeably worse over the last few weeks - compared to my sister-in-law's Sky box it's very much a Tortoise v Hare race - the Sky box is WAY quicker. Seems to me that either updates to the system have brought it to a crawl or it's doing a heck of a lot more talking back to VM before any requested operation. Catch up, search etc is all but unusable, to the point where it's quicker & much more reliable to download a programme & watch it off a usb hard drive on the tv. VM - you are in great danger of making the TiVO redundant at this rate. Our Samsung tv's apps (IPlayer, Youtube etc) are far more responsive than the dogs-dinner TiVO offering.

We use the TiVO a lot & it's getting difficult to defend against my wife's insistence that we look to change suppliers.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TiVO getting slower

Hi psims,

Thanks for posting!

There's a trick you can try to help speed up the box by clearing unnecessary background data.

Just go to the Home screen and on the remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

Let me know if that doesn't help and I'll investigate further.

Look forward to hearing from you!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi psims,

Thanks for posting!

There's a trick you can try to help speed up the box by clearing unnecessary background data.

Just go to the Home screen and on the remote control press Thumbs Down, Thumbs Up, Play, Play. You'll hear a 'ping' noise and the screen will go blank for a few seconds.

Let me know if that doesn't help and I'll investigate further.

Look forward to hearing from you!  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

psims
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tip - yes, things have improved quite a bit :-D

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi psims,

Thanks for coming back and letting us know things have improved. If you have any further issues you know where to come.

In the meantime, don't be a stranger around the Community! Feel free to browse through the Boards and jump into a thread if you have any advice or tips that may be of use to others.

Take care. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
knotso
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this.

I had exactly this problem. Now all fixed - and I'm looking forward to using the TiVo in peace (without having to use any Anglo-Saxon vocabulary)

Spread the word!

Knotso Frustrated

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi knotso,

That's awesome! Glad to hear it's worked for you.

If you ever feel the TiVo® is getting a little sluggish, just repeat the process.

All the best  Smiley Very Happy

Josh

0 Kudos