Menu
HonorlessWeasel
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

TiVO box ruined my HDMI ports?

Evening all,

I have recently referenced the below thread, however, started my own as I don't wish for my issue to get lost/ignored: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/damaged-hdmi-ports/td-p/2837112

Last week I was off work very ill, trying to take my mind off it I watched something one morning that had been recorded.  It all worked perfectly.  Went to see my doctor, came back wading through ankle deep water and a massive thunderstorm directly over head.  Put the TV on again to take my mind off things, and all I see is "No Signal".  I ended up in hospital that night so just figured it was temporary and had more important things to think about.   The following day, back at home, I try again but still have the same issue, so I try to fix it. 

Now, I've spent most of my working life in IT, some of it AV related, so I'm not unfamiliar with how to thoroughly test setups.

The TV reported "No Signal" from my TiVo box, my xBox One and my BluRay player.  I tried three different HDMI cables with each device - still no signal.  I plugged my xBox One and BluRay player into my PC monitor and both worked without issue.  The TiVO box did not work with my monitor.

I figured that the HDMI ports had an issue, my TV was about four years old , so it's not unusual for components to start failing.  I took the motherboard out of the TV and resoldered the HDMI Port joints.  No joy, but a renewed love for soldering.  Everything still said "No Signal".  The TiVO box works on SCART but the picture is beyond disappointing.

Today, I bought a brand new 48" Samsung Smart 3D TV.  The xBox works, a laptop and PC work with it, the BluRay player works, all on HDMI.  The TiVO box?  Nah, course not, still "No Signal", therefore I'm down to my last option: the HDMI port on my TiVO box has blown (and possibly taken my last TV with it as it's far too convenient that those ports failed at the same time).

Now, I'm entirely unwilling to do the whole phone call to support as the last time I had a problem with VM I ended up doing that three times, following their instructions three times (as the advisors refused to help unless I did it) despite having done it all myself to no avail but none of them believed me.  I feel like I've gone above and beyond what is expected of anyone doing first line fault finding - I took my TV apart and soldered it, even the guys in Richer Sounds said they wouldn't have gone that far.

I've tried this:
HOME - HELP & SETTINGS - SETTINGS - VIDEO OUTPUT - VIDEO OUTPUT FORMAT - CHANGE SETTINGS
Then select auto detect. 

No change from doing that, still "No Signal".  I've factory reset my brand new TV - no change.  I've powered it all down and left it off for a while - no change.  I've even tried turning the devices on in different orders to work out if it's a handshake issue - no change.

What's my next step?  I think I've exhausted everything I've seen across these forums?

I don't really want to lose this TiVO box as it's got about three entire TV series on it that I'm yet to watch, but if it has to be that, then it has to be that.  (Is it possible to get a new box, retain the old one only using it to watch the recorded data and return it at another date?)

Any help is much appreciated.
Many thanks Smiley Happy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVO box ruined my HDMI ports?

Um. The one thing you might not have tried is to check the VM website. The problem could be everyone in your area esp since you mention floods. It could be that engineers are trying to fix it as you type. 

0 Kudos
HonorlessWeasel
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Really?  Within minutes of realising it wasn't working it was the first thing I looked at.

The box works via SCART.  Exactly why would a small flood a quarter of a mile away, that lasted half an hour, two weeks ago, mean only the HDMI output doesn't work?  I'm looking to progress this issue as I pay over £100 per month for this box with all its HD channels, not be taught to suck eggs.

0 Kudos
Andrew-H
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

They will repair or replace the tivo, but if the tivo is swapped, the recordings will be lost.
In any event, you will have to call to arrange a tech visit to proceed.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to completely ignore my advice. The above message may contain sarcasm (if you can't find it, you're not looking hard enough)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi HonorlessWeasel,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble getting the TiVo® to work lately, it's great to see you have gone to a lot of trouble to carry out many checks along the way.  

I can see you have an engineer booked to call round who will be able to get this fixed for you which is great to see.  It would be awesome if you could keep us in the loop as to how you get on after the appointment.  I hope all goes well.

I hope you are well also.  Keep us posted, I'm here to help if you need me.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
rocketdog67
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What was the result / solution mate?

0 Kudos
dgwilym
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

we have had the same problem,  well my parents have,  3 hd tv's, the hdmi port kept failing and saying no signal whilst the scart and antenna would work, this is undoubtedly a current fluctuation problem coming from the tivo box which in turn is causing the hdmi processing microchip to ultimately cease in operating. I have an engineer calling out next tuesday and if I am not satisfied with the outcome I shall pursuing it further. 3 tv's all now without hd facility.

0 Kudos
dgwilym
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello Collette,  last week I reported the fact that the tivo box is sending too high a current to our THIRD tv, and it is without a doubt the box which is causing the microprocessing hdmi chips within the tv sets to fail and thus rendering the hd facility in all three sets inoperable and damaged. I was told that a third party engineer who understood electrical engineering would visit us today, I categorically asked the customer support to confirm it would be an electrical engineer, today arrives and a virgin av guy calls out who immediately states that he is not qualified or trained to examine such components or the hdmi signal and its pins (pin 18).

You should be fitting a surge suppressor between your products and customers electrical goods to insure that this problem is protected against this problem, as the hdmi connection sends voltage to the receiving port, so now we are still without a hd tv, 3 of them have been damaged and I still await a resolution.

If this is not addressed soon then it is the small claims court route which we shall be taking.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi dgwilym,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

I am not familiar with this problem with our TiVo® boxes so I'm sorry to learn this has happened.

Yes our technicians can only fix the equipment we provide so they are not qualified in any third party equipment.

Can you confirm from the manufacturer of the television that it's the TiVo® box that's damaged the HDMI chip?

Looking forward to hearing from you

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
allegheny722
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dear community and HonorlessWeasel,

It appears I have suffered the exact same problem below as described by HW- there was a deafeningly loud lightning strike near to my house and since then there is no signal showing from the TIVO box. I have tried swapping HDMI cables but to no avail. Is there a solution to this? I am an engineer by profession and have a fairly objective approach to problem solving, I have tried changing all components/connections and the problem does seem to follow the TIVO box and its mating with the TV. The TV is surge protected and powers on fine so that's not the issue. 

Is there a solution to this, clearly this is a recurring issue. VirginMedia, please help!!!

0 Kudos