Menu
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Think Hard Disk is dying

The past week my TiVo box has on a number of occasions froze and skipped when playing back a recording. Rewinding I find that on some recordings the same section plays correctly or exhibits the same freeze/skip behaviour. Noting the time this behaviour occurred I have then checked all 3 live tuner buffers to see what they do at this time (by rewinding the live buffer) to find that the live tuner buffers have missed several seconds and exhibit a skip behaviour.

I am deducing here that the hard disk is dying (although the self diagnostic tests on the website don't find any problems) and somehow stalling for several seconds whilst playing back recordings which are disrupting the recording of the live buffers?

If one of the mods could run some diagnostics it would be appreciated; the box that is playing up is named "Richards" and the STB number ends in 824 (we have two TiVo boxes).

Incidentally, if a problem is found with the hard disk then I know it will be a box swap but I was wondering if instead of sending an engineer out whether a replacement box could be send out (with packaging to return the swapped box) so that I can swap it at my leisure. There are a number of programmes recorded which I would like to try and watch before the hard disk (potentially) dies completely. I have self installed a TiVo box and couple of super hubs (as I am a triallist) so I know what I am doing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Think Hard Disk is dying

Hey G4DDS,

Cheers for the heads up and letting us know here, it's the first I've spoken to you this year so hope you've had a good one so far.

I've checked the TiVo 824 and to be fair, the hard drive is not showing signs of degradation, there are no signs of remapping or corrupt events happening. I did notice some T3 timeouts also with your input levels operating below what is needed to operate. 

Bearing in mind that you wish to view your shows and I am able to send out an engineer based on my findings, when would be enough time?

I hope that this is of help and get back to me when you can.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,

Thanks for having a look. It's interesting that you mention problems with my input levels as a couple of months ago I was having problems which I posted about here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tearing-and-Picture-Break-up/m-p/29523...

Although an engineer was sent out he could not find any problem with the signal and suspected a box issue. My own investigation which was suggested by the engineer (as I did not want him to swap the box unnecessarily) was to swap the two TiVo boxes hoping the fault would move with the box or stay with the location. Unfortunately both boxes behaved when they were swapped but once swapped back it started exhibiting the problem again. After having a chat with the engineer who phoned me back a few days later he popped around and left me with a HDU as I was still convinced there was a signal issue and my box had tuners which were slightly less tolerant to a lower signal than the living room box. After fitting the HDU myself (TiVo on the lifeline, SH3 on the other output) it has largely cleared the problem with the picture breaking up although I have noticed some very minor tearing a couple of times but it is nowhere near as bad as it was.

Incidentally, I am on the SH3 trial and I have noticed that I have quite lengthy boot times that are as yet unexplained:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/VMMTrial2015/Startup-time-following-power-cycle/m-p/2973234#M470...

Looking at the network logs I can see there are T3 and MDD time outs on my broadband connection so perhaps these are related to problems that my TiVo is experiencing?

It is quite annoying as I can't help thinking that I have a "noisy signal" which although the HDU appears to have helped has still not got to the bottom of it. The main issue appears to be that when the diagnostics are done externally by your good-selves you see problems with the signal yet when the engineer comes out everything is in spec and they don't really know what to do (they can't fix it if it's not broken when they come) and it seems that they are up against tight time scales which don't allow them time to investigate.

One thing that has confused me is that you say the hard disk looks fine yet you want me to view my shows which would imply that you want the engineer to do a box swap? Do you suspect signal and a potential box problem? Can you clarify please.

Incidentally I assumed a hard disk problem as I had a TiVo fail a couple of years ago and that failure started with the freezing and skipping of recordings and skipping during live TV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Something definitely strange going on with the box...

Playing back a recording tonight and it froze for about 5 seconds and then carried on. There was no picture breakup or audio breakup and none of the program missing - it was exactly as though I had pressed pause for a few seconds. Rewinding and playing back the same section again it freezes at exactly the same point. I repeated this again.

Checking a live TV buffer there were 3 instances of breakup and skipping where a few seconds of the program were missing and the timing of these 3 instances were when I was experiencing the 5 second freezing on the recording I was playing back.

If it's not the hard disk then there is something else wrong with the box. I find it hard to equate it to a signal issue as I would have thought there would be breakup and interference at the point where the recordings freeze?

Looks like I will need a box swap so if you could book an engineer appointment (any time over the weekend or after 5 PM on a weekday evening) or as I said in a previous post I am well versed at swapping out VM equipment if you just want to send a replacement.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Terri P - I have replied to your personal message and also sent it to Ben D as well as I was unsure whether you were in tomorrow to book the engineer.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there G4DDS, 

I can see that Jen has replied to your message as neither Ben or Terri were in last night. 

Jen has booked an appointment for you, and sent you the details. 

If this is inconvenient, please let me know and we can get this rescheduled for you. 

Cheers

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Just a courtesy report to let you all know the box was swapped - as soon as I showed the engineer a stuck recording he said "Yep, Hard disk is on its way out".

Thanks to all the forum staff for sorting this out and arranging an engineer.

Richard

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi G4DDS,

Thanks for the update and I'm pleased all is ok now for you Smiley Happy

I will pass on your thanks to all involved and let them know all is ok.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to give us a shout Smiley Happy

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos