Menu
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The update to resolve the slow Tivo problem and the V6

We have all read the multiple posts about the recent update crippling the Tivo and seen the official post :-

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Slow-TiVo/m-p/3195456#U3195456

As regards all the helpful hints to improve the speed, let's not get too carried away.

At long last I had my two Tivos replaced yesterday. The bad news, with nothing on the boxes, no scheduled recordings, no recorded programmes, they were not as fast as I would have expected.

I then copied my schedule over to one box and recorded a couple of programmes last night. I had a whole 3% used. And I waited for the menu to appear and I had a wait while it loaded, slowly, one of my handful of recordings.

This was on a new, virtually empty, box. Very impressive.

So to the suggestion of an upgrade to resolve the situation. I would not hold my breath. After last year's update fiasco when they managed to lose Dolby Digital off the Samsung boxes, it took about fifteen months to resolve this with the recent upgrade.

And, as for the current issue? Remember that the code on the current Tivo is the same as that on the more powerful V6 (that is what I was told by the CEO's office), so no wonder the Tivo is struggling.

However, if they want to keep the codesets in line to reduce maintenance costs, very likely, then any changes will have to be made to both the current Tivo and the V6.

And they will then have to test both models and their testing procedures seem to be pretty useless, otherwise they would never have got as far as releasing such poor upgrades.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
fergiet
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: The update to resolve the slow Tivo problem and the V6

Great post.

0 Kudos
craig_b25
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant post. Everything you have said is true.

What I find really annoying is that Virgin Media are a service provider. They should be doing everything to keep their customers happy.  

Okay the fact that they created the official post  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Slow-TiVo/m-p/3195456#U319545  is good. However where are the daily\weekly posts that show's their progress on fixing these issues!? It was last edited on 02-09-2016 17:53.  That is too long.  Poor customer service.

Im seriously thinking about jumping shop to another service provider for TV.  The only thing with VM is that their broadband is pretty good.

0 Kudos
vmforumlogin
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Okay, well based on original post i won't hold my breath.  Cheers for the info.  Await multiple slaggings for VM when they roll out more machines. 

0 Kudos