Menu
Ostrogobulus
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The signal strength at our Tivo box is low.

The signal strength at our Tivo box is low and this can have a detrimental effect on picture quality on certain channels with severe breakup. The engineer says that the signal strength is adequate where the Virgin lead enters our premises but because Virgin use a three way passive splitter to feed the modem, the Tivo box and a V box fitted in another room the signal strength ends up rather low. I was going to give a smart analogy but perhaps this is not needed!

The V box was fitted as it was part of a Virgin deal when we had cable fitted.

According to the settings programme on the box the signal strength on one of the tuners is 32% and the other two around 40%

It makes me wonder why an active splitter is not used rather than throwing away most of the signal as at present. Is there a voltage present on the Virgin feed which could power an active splitter and indeed do they exist in the Virgin world?

If passive splitters are routinely used how does everyone else go on and what is considered to be an adequate signal level at the Tivo box?  

Anyone had similar problems?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: The signal strength at our Tivo box is low.

Ostrogobulus wrote:

The signal strength at our Tivo box is low and this can have a detrimental effect on picture quality on certain channels with severe breakup. The engineer says that the signal strength is adequate where the Virgin lead enters our premises but because Virgin use a three way passive splitter to feed the modem, the Tivo box and a V box fitted in another room the signal strength ends up rather low. I was going to give a smart analogy but perhaps this is not needed!

The V box was fitted as it was part of a Virgin deal when we had cable fitted.

According to the settings programme on the box the signal strength on one of the tuners is 32% and the other two around 40%

It makes me wonder why an active splitter is not used rather than throwing away most of the signal as at present. Is there a voltage present on the Virgin feed which could power an active splitter and indeed do they exist in the Virgin world?

If passive splitters are routinely used how does everyone else go on and what is considered to be an adequate signal level at the Tivo box?  

Anyone had similar problems?

Does your splitter have its own power supply? Mine has and it powers a Tivo, a V+ and a SH2.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Ostrogobulus
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is simply a passive splitter so the signal is shared between three sinks.

Where the signal is split there is no house power supply so if there is no usable voltage on the Virgin line then this will be a problem.

Is your splitter official Virgin issue?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ostrogobulus wrote:

It is simply a passive splitter so the signal is shared between three sinks.

Where the signal is split there is no house power supply so if there is no usable voltage on the Virgin line then this will be a problem.

Is your splitter official Virgin issue?

Yes, it was installed by a Virgin engineer. 

A couple of years ago I was having problems with both TV and broadband dropping out every now and again. An engineer visited, discovered a problem with the splitter and replaced it.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Ostrogobulus
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your kind reply.

Does your active splitter need mains voltage?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ostrogobulus wrote:

Thank you for your kind reply.

Does your active splitter need mains voltage?

Yes, it is mains powered. The description on it is FDU-51.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ostrogobulus

Welcome to the community, I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your TiVo service at the moment. 

I've been able to locate your account and take a closer look at this from our end for you, we're detecting some very minor issues for your input levels although it shouldn't cause too many problems with your overall service. 

How have things been over the last few days?

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ostrogobulus
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig

Thank you for your contribution.

The problem manifests itself on certain channels such as Living HD and Fox HD and causes picture breakup. It does not happen all the time.

The levels at the Virgin cabinet were turned up to maximum by the Virgin engineer and I was told that it was still not enough and that he would need to report it to "another section" who would make some equipment changes.

When I contacted Virgin on 150 the lady told me that the work had never been done and that she would send a senior engineer to solve the problem. She was able to check the levels from her location and said that they were low.

The engineer duly came and told me that the problem was that the signal level to the house was reasonably OK but because it was split three ways by a Virgin splitter the signal at the TV was lower than it should be. I knew this, of course as it was what I had been told before. He fiddled about for a bit and changed a short lead from the "lightning unit" before the Tivo box to another lead. Other than this nothing was done and I was left a 'phone number if the problem re-occurred. It was raining and he was full of cold and as I did not want to catch it I was pleased when he left.

So the house needs to be higher to allow for a three way passive splitter and this is what the first engineer said. My query about an active splitter stems from the foregoing.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ostrogobulus,

Just wanted to pop by and see how things are currently.  Have you had further picture disruption since the last engineer visit?

I have taken a look at your box remotely and signal wise all looks great from here at the moment.

If you're still experiencing the disruption let me know and I can help further. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos