Menu
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Terrible iPlayer Buffering

I'm trying to watch this year's BBC Glastonbury coverage on the red button and the buffering is terrible. The coverage is constantly interrupted by buffering and bad pixelation. Is this an iPlayer or Tivo issue?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible iPlayer Buffering

Hey AfxTwn

Sorry to hear about the problems your experiencing with iPlayer, are you noticing any issues with Youtube or Netflix through your TiVo box?

I've run some tests on the set top box and we're seeing no detectable issues at the moment. We are experiencing some issues with iPlayer individually at the moment and we're doing our best to resolve these issues as soon as possible for anyone affected.

Sorry again for these problems, we'll look to get this sorted ASAP.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
AfxTwn
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 86
Flag for a moderator

I haven't really tested YT or Netflix, I was using iPlayer's red button to watch the Glastonbury live coverage. All weekend the picture quality has been quite bad, very pixelated and recurring breaking up of the picture or other buffering issues.

I don't generally watch iPlayer a lot as I've always experienced buffering issues with it and it became near impossible to watch a show without it being interrupted in some way, so now I just record anything on BBC and watch it back later on my Tivo.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Hey AfxTwn

Thanks for getting back to me, I am sorry about the continued issues you're experiencing. 

We're aware of issues with iPlayer and we're working towards a resolution for this, we'll be able to keep you updated via these forums to keep an eye out Man Happy

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
msandersbarwick
Joining in
Message 5 of 86
Flag for a moderator

We have had the same issue since our Virgin installation in January!

I have to say that to date I am appalled with the service from VM. We had left Virgin previously after having over three months of issues and numerous engineer visits only to be told that there was no problem, with our service. Two weeks after we left VM our whole street was full of VM vans replacing cabling and junctions!

After a two year break we came back to VM and wish that we had not done so. We are having the same issues, despite having the dedicated 10mb TV feed. Three engineer visits later and the issue is not resolved - poor buffering, freezing, pixelating, and error messages.

The last engineer gave us a bit of insight. He said that the issue is with the Tivo box - particularly in weak signal areas and at peak times. There is nothing that ANY engineer can do about this and VM are waiting for a fix from Tivo. It seems that Tivo and VMs legal teams are now thrashing it out over clauses and contracts whilst us poor customers have to suffer.

It appears that if you live in a week signal area, or one that suffers at peak times, then there is no fix for you until Tivo update VM with new boxes. don't hold your breath on that one! VM want to take your money for a non-existent service.

VM tries palming us off that only iPlayer was affected (which we used to watch 90% of our TV on), and besides, that is STILL not the service and package that I signed up to. I have been using Netflix, which had previously been OK'ish with pixilation only in the first two minutes of a programme and intermittently during the programme. However, last night Netflix was unwatchable. YT - forget it!

I can stream movies on my iPhone in 4G with no problems **bleep**! We are living in the 21st century in the digital age, why the hell are we having post WWII analogue quality media pumped onto our widescreen HD TVs?

It appears that VM are ambivalent about even engaging with complaints. I have just made yet another call and had to start the whole process from step one:

• "Have you reset your box?"
  • "Is your box on now so we can test the signal?"
  • "When are you available to have an engineer call?"

VM - You know there is a issue here. Man up and deal with it and stop hiding behind call centre staff that that you hire at cheap rates overseas.

In my view I have been paying for a service that does not meet expected standards, and the standards that VM say they deliver, since January. As the call centre's only response is to send another engineer to come and visit and say, "Nothin' I can do Guv - it's the Tivo box" the only option I have is to make a complaint to the NCLC.

VM - as this seems to be the only way that customers have to reach you behind your call-centre firewall, you can now at least take some steps to respond to this post, resolve the issue and compensate me and others for the unfit for purpose service you are currenlty offering.

Moderators - if you block this post then please be aware that there are other channels available

msandersbarwick
Joining in
Message 6 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Come on Craig_D... it's not just iPlayer is it? Netflix, YT and others. Why don't VM just come clean that there is an issue with the Tivo box?

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 86
Flag for a moderator

BBC iplayer buffers for me all the time, ITV CH4 and CH5 is flawless, also netflix is fine for me,  sounds like your CDN is oversubscribed

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 86
Flag for a moderator

jb66 wrote:

BBC iplayer buffers for me all the time, ITV CH4 and CH5 is flawless, also netflix is fine for me,  sounds like your CDN is oversubscribed

I have always suspected that the CDNs are the issue. I rarely have any issues with the iplayer so mine is presumably OK.

A question, are the CDNs managed by VM or the BBC?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Flystar
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 86
Flag for a moderator

I have posted elsewhere on this forum. Exactly same issue and false promises of phone calls from 2nd tier technical.

Would anyone be interested in forming a class action legal case based on false advertising ? I am quite willing to approach solicitors re this. I have had enough now.

Paul

0 Kudos
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 86
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Virgin Media are aware of this issue and how to rectify it as I received a call earlier in the week from Level 2 Technical Support with regards to this. Virgin Media are upgrading the network and I've been told that the issues with iPlayer, YouTube and Netflix should be sorted by December. Hope this helps Smiley Happy
Started with Bell Cablemedia in the early 90's and now with Virgin Media. How time flies...