Menu
learning2me
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tall Tales?

Had an Engineer out today re our second new Tivo box still playing up.

Have to say that the guy was very thorough and seemed knowledgeable - unlike the last one who just swapped the box.

Some of our problems with the box can be explained, but some of the explanations we were given frankly stretch the bounds of credibility.

Low energy lightbulbs can interfere with the Tivo box.....

Low batteries in other remotes can effect the Tivo box....

Other people's remotes can effect our Tivo box....

My husband has an electrical engineering background and can make no sense of this.

Any thoughts anyone?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tall Tales?

Hubby needs to brush up on one of those- and the engineer on two

learning2me wrote:

Had an Engineer out today re our second new Tivo box still playing up.

Have to say that the guy was very thorough and seemed knowledgeable - unlike the last one who just swapped the box.

Some of our problems with the box can be explained, but some of the explanations we were given frankly stretch the bounds of credibility.

Low energy lightbulbs can interfere with the Tivo box.....

Low batteries in other remotes can effect the Tivo box....

Other people's remotes can effect our Tivo box....

My husband has an electrical engineering background and can make no sense of this.

Any thoughts anyone?

Low energy light bulbs (especially, but not limited to) compact florescent produce quit a lot of RF interference. That will affect anything in range. In the case of TiVo- which has a built in cable modem- it IS possible to see an effect in some situations. It will usually be seen as noise on one or more downstream channels causing a lower SNR, which MAY affect picture quality on TiVo

As for IR remotes though- yes other remotes may call interference if they are operated at exactly the same time.  But all that would happen is TiVo would not read the remote command correctly and do nothing. And they would need to be in the same sort of range as Tivo remote to cause noticeable interference. The possibility of OTHER peoples remotes affecting your TiVo....well lets put it this way. DO you have a neighbor with a giant ass IR blaster wired to a 3 phase mains supply and kicking out hundred of (watts?lumens?) IR interference in their garden, pointing at your house? And no curtains ? If not, no their remotes will not affect your TiVo.

0 Kudos
learning2me
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Exactly - there would have to be a very particular set of circumstances for there to be any chance of any of those thing affecting my Tivo box.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

HI learning2me

Sorry to hear that you've had problems with your service lately, I hope things are working as they should at the moment?

Although these situations appear unlikely, they can and do occur, which is why the engineers have them at the back of their mind when looking to resolve problems. Thanks to Kippies for the in depth answer for some of the situations you've asked about tooMan Happy

The Community will be here should you need any assistance moving forward.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos