Menu
Colin_D
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Talking Pictures Channel

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to access the Talking Pictures channel via VM. This channel is available through normal Freeview TV and is an excellent channel for accessing the classic vintage films. If not available VM should consider adding it as current choice for this category is very limited in my opinion.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Talking Pictures Channel

VM do not pick the channels and Talking picture would need to pay for to be supplied via cable. most freeview channels wont as most people can get freeview anyway
0 Kudos
Colin_D
Joining in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I''ve got Freeview as well as VM so can't buy into that theory! Most people I know have acress to Freeview (council) TV rather than overpriced subscription TV services such as Sky or VM!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

It costs the channel owner for every platform they join. So while it is free to the customer, the channel owner only receives advertising & sponsorship income in return for their outlay.

TPTV has invested in a Satellite slot, which makes them available to both Sky & Freesat customers through just one deal with the Satellite operator (SES).

The slot they have on Freeview HD has restricted coverage (70% of the UK). This is currently supplemented in 2 areas by taking unused airtime on local TV stations in Brighton & Swansea.

While VM carries most of the other Freeview channels, the ones with tighter budgets have either gone down the subscription route on VM in order to afford a slot (eg Horror channel, CBS Reality) or not joined at all.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Colin_D wrote:
I''ve got Freeview as well as VM so can't buy into that theory! Most people I know have acress to Freeview (council) TV rather than overpriced subscription TV services such as Sky or VM!

So why should VM waste money on a channel which, as you say, most people have access to on Freeview?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

There is a lot of good stuff on this channel - and several local tv channels now relay it from midday to 6pm

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

ozsat wrote:

There is a lot of good stuff on this channel - and several local tv channels now relay it from midday to 6pm

But, to repeat the above, if most people have access to on Freeview what is the issue.

Otherwise get the channel to cough up, I don't want to subsidise them.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The mux it uses is of limited reach so is not available on Freeview in many areas - and also only available to those with HD Freeview receivers.

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

ozsat wrote:

The mux it uses is of limited reach so is not available on Freeview in many areas - and also only available to those with HD Freeview receivers.

A choice by the channel provider?  From all I have read it would appear that they want to have a low cost option. If that is correct then it is perhaps not surprising that they are not on VM.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The only capacity openly available now is limited

V6 TiVo (with MRS)
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)