Menu
RodL
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

TV will not restart with replacement Tivo box

Hi 

I have just had my Tivo box replaced due to a complete breakdown (disk failed).

Until the replacement I could turn my TV off (rather than "Stand By") and then sometime later I could switch it back on again and the picture/sound would come back with no further action needed.

With the new Tivo box when the TV is switched back on it shows the "HDMI 1080i/50" message which then disappears and the screen remains totally blank.  To get the TV picture and sound back I have to either unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable or put the Tivo box to sleep and then wake it up.

Please could anyone tell me why this is happening with the new box and more importantly how can it be corrected? 

0 Kudos
savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV will not restart with replacement Tivo box

If you have more than one HDMI port it may be that the new TiVo is plugged into a different one that the old TiVo, and the TV is set to wake up on the other one by default.
coremedia
Superfast
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked the Tivo Box Settings? If you check the Video Output Settings it is likely they need adjusting. There is an Auto Discovery Option to discover what Outputs are suitable for your TV, save them & you should be sorted out. Sounds like the old box was set up but the new one isn't in my opinion.

0 Kudos
RodL
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I've checked and the HDMI cable is still in the same port as it has always been.
0 Kudos
RodL
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your advice. I have followed your suggestion and I have gone through the Auto Discovery Option and saved the settings. Still no luck the TV will not restart after a power off. Thanks for your suggestion and trying to help.
0 Kudos
coremedia
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I was told on these forums that if you hold the Text Button on the VM Remote it will bring up your HDMI. This indeed did work for me, it's a nuisance but better than nothing for me as my TV has always started up on the old BBC1 analague channel & I struggled to get it on to the HDMI which is why I had it set up on Scart as it switched to that as soon as I turned the TV on. I've never got any HDMI error message on screen though. The VM Remote solution might save you having to keep unplugging as a temporary stop gap until someone can give you a more permanent answer.

0 Kudos
G4DDS
Rising star
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Curious problem seeing as you say nothing else in the setup (other than the TiVo box) has changed. Was the box swap a like-for-like (i.e. Samsung for a Samsung or a Cisco for a Cisco)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: 200Mb BB, XL TV (with Sky Sports & Movies) + HD supplement, Talk More Anytime
Equipment: Super Hub 3, 2 x 1Tb TiVo's, Hudl 2 (Android 5.1), Moto G4 Plus (Android 6.0.1), Panasonic LCD TV TX-L32G20B & Plasma TV TX-P42S30B
0 Kudos
savvychels
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried a completely different HDMI cable?  Maybe the cable is faulty?

RodL
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

coremedia wrote:

I was told on these forums that if you hold the Text Button on the VM Remote it will bring up your HDMI. This indeed did work for me, it's a nuisance but better than nothing for me as my TV has always started up on the old BBC1 analague channel & I struggled to get it on to the HDMI which is why I had it set up on Scart as it switched to that as soon as I turned the TV on. I've never got any HDMI error message on screen though. The VM Remote solution might save you having to keep unplugging as a temporary stop gap until someone can give you a more permanent answer.

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I still can't get the TV back after power off.  However pressing and holding the Text Button did bring up the TV input menu which showed that the HDMI input was selected.

One thing that did come to light was that if the OK Button is pressed when the input menu is showing the Tivo guide comes up and I can move around the channels but with no picture or sound.

0 Kudos
RodL
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

G4DDS wrote:

Curious problem seeing as you say nothing else in the setup (other than the TiVo box) has changed. Was the box swap a like-for-like (i.e. Samsung for a Samsung or a Cisco for a Cisco)?

Hi,  thanks for your post.

The replacement Tivo box I have now is a Samsung.  The old one was different but I do not know the make (I've had the old one for two or three years).  The engineer changed a couple of settings just after swapping and before the automatic set up started.  No other settings were updated before he left.

0 Kudos