Menu
gav_hay
Dialled in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

TV switches on to wrong input channel

On Friday, my old V+HD box was swapped for a 500gb TiVo. When I had the V+HD box connected and I switched on my Samsung smart TV, it would come on to input channel HMDI1 i.e. the input port that the V+HD box was connected to. However, now when I switch on the TV, it comes on to input channel Ext.HD DVD i.e. the input port for my Hard Disk DVD recorder.

The connections I have are:- TiVo connected to TV via HDMI. TiVo connected to HD DVD via SCART. HD DVD connected to TV via SCART. 

This is only a minor irritation and I'm guessing it may be caused by having the TiVo connected to different pieces of equipment via HDMI and SCART. However, if there is a way to stop this, it would be useful to know.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV switches on to wrong input channel

gav_hay wrote:

However, changing the input channel once the TV is switched on is not too onerous and cheaper than buying more equipment!

I still say it'd be even easier to snip off pin 8 of the SCART connector (the one on the cable between the TiVo and the DVD recorder).

Andre

Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V+ VCR scart socket does not have the +5V on pin 8 thats used to switch inputs by the TV the TiVo does have it and as said cutting the wire from said pin will stop it switching.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).

All Replies
Browser01
Superfast
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same problem here (sammy ue48****). There seems to be no tv settings (obvious or hidden) to select a default input. Have tried swapping cables, turning tivo on before tv etc. I couldn't find a way to over-ride the scart connection. I posted on the samsung forum but got no replies. Luckily I can reach behind the tv and it is an easy matter to unplug the scart which is a rarely used connection. 

It will be interesting and useful to see if this community can find a working solution to this......B

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If you want to achieve HD on all your equipment you must use HDMI, Scart is old technology, it seems your tv is giving priority to your other plugged equipment, try turning them off. Hope this does the trick. Micky
0 Kudos
gav_hay
Dialled in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

LittleMick73 wrote:
If you want to achieve HD on all your equipment you must use HDMI, Scart is old technology, it seems your tv is giving priority to your other plugged equipment, try turning them off. Hope this does the trick. Micky

Hi Micky, thanks for the response. The problem occurs even when my DVD recorder is in standby. I agree that Scart is old technology, so is my Sony Hard Disc DVD recorder which is 11 years old and doesn't have HDMI output hence it needs to be connected to my TV via Scart. I have the TiVo connected to the DVD recorder via Scart as I occasionally record programmes to DVD so that I can watch them when I'm away from home. I'm sure that the problem is caused by the TiVo, as I mentioned in my original post, I had exactly the connections with the Virgin V+HD box but the TV always switched on to the HDMI1 input channel.

As I say, this is only a minor irritation, I can just switch input channels once the TV on is but if there's a way of stopping it, that would be great.  

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes I find when I have been using my DVD player I have to manually select hdmi 1 via tv remote which I do when finished with it to connect to tivo, I also will watch forum with interest, hope you didn't think me rude re scary. Micky.
0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

SCART connections are able to trigger the TV to switch over to that input when a source is active, so by using SCART connectors that is what is happening. I can't remember whether that is configurable on the TiVo, but you may be able to stop the TV responding to it. As a last resort, just disconnect or snip off that pin on the SCART connector (pin 8 from memory). [Edit: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART ]

Actually HDMI can (optionally) do the same, except for some reason Virgin have not enabled that feature. Smiley Sad

Andre

0 Kudos
M4RKM
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It is definitely the Scart from TiVo to DVD recorder to TV daisy chain that is causing this. The TV is getting a signal from the tivo down the Scart, so changes to that. 

If you're not using it constantly to record from TiVo to DVD, then I'd unplug that until you need it, and you should find your tv stops doing what you don't want it to do. 

M

0 Kudos
gav_hay
Dialled in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to those who have posted. I'll probably just stick with switching the input channel over once the TV has been switched on. It's a shame that the problem only occurs with new technology like the TiVo box and not with old technology like the V+HD box!

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have no problem with my Tivo, but I have a similar problem between my NOW box and WD drive through the TV.

To keep a couple of sockets free I use one of these - the one I have is remote control. It means an extra control, but also means I can switch between appliances without having to reach behind the sofa.

Wonder if one of these will help you ?

0 Kudos
gav_hay
Dialled in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

andyju wrote:

I have no problem with my Tivo, but I have a similar problem between my NOW box and WD drive through the TV.

To keep a couple of sockets free I use one of these - the one I have is remote control. It means an extra control, but also means I can switch between appliances without having to reach behind the sofa.

Wonder if one of these will help you ?

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my Sony DVD recorder is old and does not have HDMI output hence I need to connect it to my TV via Scart. I guess I could get a Scart to HDMI adapter. However, changing the input channel once the TV is switched on is not too onerous and cheaper than buying more equipment!

0 Kudos