Menu
kered10
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TV doesn't recognise TiVo HDMI input

Just over a month ago, my 1TB TiVo was replaced after remote diagnosis of a failing hard drive. the new one works OK (though I've lost the optical output of DD, as have others) but there is fairly often a failure for my Sony TV to recognise and show the output from the TiVo, I just get a black screen. Usually this is rectified by powering off the TV and switching on again (not just to standby). I have also tried restarting the TiVo, but the behaviour remains, though sporadically. I have also tried different HDMI cables. Is this something that lends itself to remote diagnosis like the previous hard drive failure. I do wonder whether the fault lies with my TiVo or TV.

Any opinions welcome.

Derek

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV doesn't recognise TiVo HDMI input

Hi Kered10,

Thank you for coming back and posting. I'm sorry to hear about the HDMI input not responding correctly and thanks for trying out new cables. 

I would like to ask if this comes on at all after a few attempts at rebooting? I would like to ask if you have an a spare TV that you can use to see if this responds at all and also was this TV the same used in the previous TiVo?

Take care and speak to you soon Smiley Happy

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
kered10
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Dear Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't got another TV to try. The old TiVo did the same thing sometimes, the new one has been OK this last week. When it isn't recognised, It seems most likely to be resolved by switching off the TV and switching on again. Restarting the TiVo seems to have less success. On a separate note, the TiVo seems slow to respond to some commands, as if a button press didn't work, then perhaps 10s later, the required function is activated, eg bringing up My shows. I'm just worried that I'll end up needing another swap-out and losing recordings again. (The previous one suffered freezes and pixellation, and was remotely diagnosed as a failing hdd.)

Regards,

Derek

0 Kudos
trentman
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Derek,

You're not on your own. I've had exactly the same problem that you describe for years. My TV is a Sony KDL-40HX723.

Turning the TV off and on cures the problem, restarting the TiVo does not.

When I broached the subject with an engineer he said it was because I had a scart connection between the TiVo and my DVD recorder and TiVo was occasionally defaulting to that for some reason. Whether this is the case or not I don't know as this is a connection that I do use and it's too much trouble to keep removing the scart and then refitting it when I need it.

So In my case I just use the TV on/off button. This happens about once every couple of weeks.

Regards

Bob

0 Kudos
kered10
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your helpful reply. I have a Sony KDL40S5500. I have the TiVo scart connected to an RF modulator to send the TiVo output to an old pre-HDMI TV in a different room, so there is another common factor.

Regards,

Derek

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I think you need to select the input button on tv remote & put on the HDMI setting 1 2 or 3 which ever you are plugged into, look at back of tv for the socket number on the input, but most modern TVs find it automaticly. Good luck Micky.

0 Kudos
kered10
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem is when the correct HDMI input is correctly selected, there is a black screen as if there is no signal from the TiVo. I would like to know if this is a fault/characteristic of the TiVo or the TV. At some point in future I will buy a new TV, but I would be quite annoyed to be several hundred pounds down, only for the TiVo to behave the same way as with the previous TV. The suggestion to try plugging in a different TV was sensible, but I don't have a suitable extra TV, and further, the problem is intermittent.

Derek

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

kered10 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem is when the correct HDMI input is correctly selected, there is a black screen as if there is no signal from the TiVo. I would like to know if this is a fault/characteristic of the TiVo or the TV. At some point in future I will buy a new TV, but I would be quite annoyed to be several hundred pounds down, only for the TiVo to behave the same way as with the previous TV. The suggestion to try plugging in a different TV was sensible, but I don't have a suitable extra TV, and further, the problem is intermittent.

Derek

It's part of the copy protection on the Tivo, the TV has to give the Tivo a handshake to show it's not a recording device. If it fails to do this within a set time period the Tivo will stop displaying over HDMI

0 Kudos
trentman
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure that changing the TV would help as both Derek and I have the same problem with different model TVs, the only common factor is that they are both Sonys.

Also because the problem is intermittent you may have to utilize your alternative TV for up to 2 weeks before the problem reoccurs - and as my alternative TV is inferior in both spec and screen size, it's not going to happen.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue with TVs other than Sony?

I have also tried using HDMI1,2 and 3 inputs for the TiVo but it makes no difference.

Bob

0 Kudos
kered10
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I feel this discussion is quite helpful to me, and extra perspectives from people with different TV brands would be useful, as Bob suggested. If the problem is the handshake process, to do with copy protection, does this suggest the issue is really with TiVo or Sony, or both? And going further, I was thinking of buying a Fire TV stick, is this likely to affect Fire TV and Sony, or just TiVo and Sony?

Derek

0 Kudos