Menu
flatfoot471
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TV Anywhere

To get TV Anywhere the VM Help video says I need to get a Powerline adaptor to connect my TIVO box to my Network.

A) - Why is my TIVO box not connected to my Network in the first place and why is the box not so equipped with Wi-FI to enable this connection?

B) - Can I use a Network Cable to connect my TV Box to my Router or does it specifically have to be a Powerline adaptor.

C) - If I can use a Network Cable - Is there any specific type to use. I see there are CAT 5, CAT 6 and CAT 7 types available. Is there a difference and which is preferable.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Anywhere

You do not need to connect your TiVo to your home network for the vast majority of function.

You can manage your TiVo without the connection. You can stream channels without the connection.

You cannot use the TV Anywhere app as a replacement for the physical TiVo remote unless you do have the connection.

For normal operation, TiVo uses its own connection to the Internet and does not need additionally connected to your home network.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Any type of Ethernet cable is fine, so you probably might as well just go for cat-5 as it's likely to be cheapest.

The reason that the TiVo doesn't have Wi-Fi is that connecting it to your network only enables a tiny bit of extra functionality (using a phone as a remote, starting recordings playing back on the box and launching videos on the YouTube and Netflix apps from a phone) so it wouldn't really justify the cost.

Nearly all the functionality of the TV Anywhere app works without the connection.

0 Kudos
flatfoot471
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin's own help pages for TV Anywhere says you DO have to connect your TIVO to your home network. That's why I asked the question.

You cannot stream channels to a phone or tablet until it is connected to your network. That's why I asked that as well.

I CAN use the TIVO app on my device as a TV remote and have done so regularly when I have forgotten to record something and been out and about.

0 Kudos