Menu
sirshambling
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TIVO upscaling output

My new TIVO box will be delivered soon so I've been reading up on it. I found a very interesting thread a couple of years ago which discussed the fact that the TIVO upscaled SD output from 576i to 720p. VM said they were looking into whether or not output could be achieved at native 576i resolution but I couldn't find if anything had been changed.

Can somebody please tell me if SD output is still being upscaled to 720p or not.

I'd be disappointed if it still was.

Thanks John.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO upscaling output

It upscales it to 1080i, and yes it still does

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You choose how you want TiVo to send to the tv via HDMI

You can send 576i  as  576i, 720p or 1080i  -   bit it seems to stick at the highest you select whatever the source.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
sirshambling
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks dannylau / ozsat - disappointing. Pity VM couldn't leave the output settings as they are on the US TIVO rather than making things worse. I'll have to see if I can devise a macro for my aged Pronto so that the settings are set at 576i for SD and revert to 1080i for HD.
0 Kudos
sirshambling
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've been looking about for my new Samsung 1tb Tivo box and it seems to have quite different picture quality setting from the older TIVO box. A few surprises.

First the box is unable to distingush between SD and HD sources. The old box can output a different resolution whereas my new box can only output a single resolution for both SD and HD. I've tried every possible combination of  outputs and every one uses one single resolution only. I find this astonishing - even individual control and choice then before.

The second surprise is that the resolution defaults to 576i - this is described as "preferred" in the menu. It's certainly not "preferred" by me. I can't understand downscaling HD sources at all. I guess that must be the lowest common of TV resolutions but since there isn't anything in the user manual about the way to have HD sources properly set up there must be VM customers who are wondering why their shiny new HD TVs show the most dreadful picture quality.

The third surprise is the way the new flagship TIVO box behaves the way it chooses output resolutions. If 720p is included in any combiation of resolutions then the TIVO box defaults to 720p. So HD sources are downscaled HD sources and upscaled SD sources. Neither are satisfactory at all. If 720p is not included and 1080i is included then 1080i is the second default. HD is a very good presentation - I'm impressed. SD upscaled to 1080i is not satisfactory at all sadly.

I find it so disappoined that just when TV picture quality is becoming more and more important (think 4K for example) the flagship VM TIVO box insists that upscaling is controlled by VM and not by our own pices of kit. If VM do unveil a TIVO 4K box will the default output setting be 576i??

0 Kudos