Menu
transientstates
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TIVO - menu but no TV channel picture or sound on startup

I saw an identical thread by Pjweaver but I have this problem too.

VM was installed in my apartment for the first time on Friday 9th October. Every time the box is switched on after being put in standby mode it displays the startup message and menu / guide but no TV picture or sound. It doesn't matter what you select in the menu - no tv channels appear. I have tried unplugging the box and leaving it for a while before plugging in again and switching on but it continues to behave in this manner. The TV isn't very large so I have tried restricting the video output settings to 720p (it was defaulting to 1080i) but it still does this on startup. The only way to resolve it is to switch the box off again and then back on at which point you do usually get images and sound from a TV channel. But this is not always the case - sometimes it starts updating the software in three stages

As you can imagine, I am not very happy about this - it took 10 minutes to get a picture this morning and the last thing I want to be doing at 6am is messing around unplugging the box and waiting for software updates! I am seriously considering cancelling the contract and sending it all back. Does anyone have any suggestions before I do?

PH

0 Kudos
transientstates
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO - menu but no TV channel picture or sound on startup

Does anybody have any idea how this can be resolved or do I have to phone VM? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi transientstates,

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're TiVo® box isn't working correctly when you turn this on in the mornings.  I'll be happy to help check this out for you.

I have connected to your box remotely and all looks fine with the signal/power levels at present.  How are things looking today?

If the issue is still present, let me know and I can help further.

I look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
transientstates
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette, 

The problem persists. I have just got home and switched it on - it says 'waking up' then the channel info appears but no picture or sound. Then the information bar disappears and I am left with a black screen. I will leave it powered on and like this if you would like to test it again.

I have reset the box by following guidance from the VM website and tried the online diagnostics which come back as inconclusive. Nothing has fixed the problem. I guess if you can't fix it I will have to phone customer services and request an engineer?

Thanks, 

Pete

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your reply Smiley Happy

I have re-checked the box this morning and all is still ok with the signal at present.  

I will be happy to arrange for an engineer to call out and get this fault fixed for you.  I will send you a private message with details of the next steps.

(Look for the envelope icon above)

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos