Menu
R5oss
Up to speed
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

TIVO box switching itself on (power up from standby)

Random power up from standby.

Mine does not do this every night, but I do believe it has been happening for some time. We've only noticed it over the last couple of weeks since I've had to change back to the TV speakers. I put the TV into standby but my wife does not, so it depends upon who goes to bed first as to whether we get disturbed during the night.

Any clues ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO box switching itself on (power up from standby)

Network maintenance/upgrade in the area ends with a reboot signal to Tivos this can happen intermittently over several weeks 

0 Kudos
R5oss
Up to speed
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Reboots I understand and know when that happens, switching itself on from standby is what I don't.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

R5oss wrote:

Reboots I understand and know when that happens, switching itself on from standby is what I don't.

If the Tivo reboots it comes on, then it takes however long you've got it set to for it to go back into standby

0 Kudos
R5oss
Up to speed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

R5oss wrote:

If the Tivo reboots it comes on, then it takes however long you've got it set to for it to go back into standby

I have to ask, what has this reply to do with my OP ?

So let me state again, I'm NOT asking about random re-booting,

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

R5oss wrote:

dannylau wrote:

R5oss wrote:

I have to ask, what has this reply to do with my OP ?

So let me state again, I'm NOT asking about random re-booting,

neither am I let me say this again when network maintenance takes place in the night they reboot all the devices on the network when they finish, then your tivo will reboot and when it has rebooted it will take 2 hours or however long your auto switch to standby is set to for it to go back into standby again, I really cannot make myself any clearer than this not once did I mention random rebooting

0 Kudos
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There is a difference between the TiVo rebooting and coming out of standby.

1. When the TiVo reboots, all 3 tuners will be on the same channel. Pressing info then down 4 times will give you this information.

2. Go to Help & Settings > Settings and keep the Highlighted option off the top one (Audio). When you see the TiVo on, if it's on the Audio option, then it's rebooted.

Mine has come out of standby several times over the last 2 weeks and rebooted twice.

I wish people would stop assuming that every time the TiVo is automatically turned on overnight, that it has rebooted. This is not true.

---------------------------------------------------------------
This life hesitates to be enjoyed
Not the slightest prospect of change
Vicious circle
That I'd thought to have escaped
A lasting state of worry prolongs

Mirthless - by - Mirror Of Deception
(from the 2004 album - Foregone)
R5oss
Up to speed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HairyFacedHuman wrote:
I wish people would stop assuming that every time the TiVo is automatically turned on overnight, that it has rebooted. This is not true.

Well said.

And we still don't have a answer that explains this problem !

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

I'm sorry that you are still having a problem with your TiVo powering up. I understand that this issue has been ongoing for quite a while now and apologise that we haven't supplied an update on this.

I'm gathering data on this now and would appreciate if you would you let me know what model of TiVo you are using i.e. 1 TB Cisco or Samsung, 500GB Cisco or Samsung.

I have asked our TiVo tech team about this to get more information for you. As soon as I have more details about this, I'll be back in touch.

Many thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
R5oss
Up to speed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good morning and thanks Terri. It's the 500Gb Samsung :-  SMT-C7100  /  4.0  /  20.5.7.RC24-VMS-2-C8A

For the last week it's been in normal Standby (Red + Green) in the mornings, coincidently since the update to 20.5.7 !

This morning I was up early watching recorded stuff, just finished and exiting to live TV when everything hung up and it went into reboot mode. When it eventually untwisted it's knickers it restarted as normal on the HOME screen, not Live TV.

Mike.

0 Kudos