Menu
Ramjam
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TIVO box HDMI port blown by lightning strike

Hi, after the lightning storm on Saturday night it seems to have blown the HDMI ports on both my TIVO box and Onkyo theatre amp despite having surge protection.

i have tested the TIVO box with numerous HDMI cables (all of which work with my Mac Mini and DVD player) and can only conclude that this is the issue.  Has anyone else had a problem with this and what has been done about it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO box HDMI port blown by lightning strike

call it in as a fault as it can take VM staff a few days to get to posts here.
If its faulty it will be removed but you will lose all your recordings.
0 Kudos
Ramjam
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I have been trying to call them but taking for ever. Am pretty sure that is the issue so will have to persevere!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the powerserge could of come on the coax side if that is indeed what happened.
Hopefully you will get a reply from VM team int he next day or so
0 Kudos
ice198625
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

virgin should of fitted an isolator when you was installed this is a requirement for this very reason anyone who does not fit one faces being sacked

but if you was installed back in the days of NTL and telewest we find alot of these installs without isolators which then require one to be fitted

id call virgin and ask them to come out they will indeed change the box but as apcyberax said you will lose your recordings

(I WORK FOR VIRGIN MEDIA ALL ADVICE IS MY OWN)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ramjam,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear the HDMI port on the TiVo® box has blown following the lightning.

I've managed to locate your account. I can see you've already contacted us regarding the issue and have an engineer booked very soon to resolve this.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Jim_2016
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same thing.

Lg tv, lost virgin tv in strike, tv went off (virgin).

Tv still works -internet, i player, linking a tablet to show you tube etc etc.

Everything bar any of the 4 hdmi ports.

Tried a different tv today. Hdmi cables both work with a blu ray player on replacement tv. Virgin does not.

Blu ray wont work on any of the 4 hdmi ports on my lg tv.

Just googled this and saw your post. I have just  spoke to virgin and a technician is coming on tuesday.

Im not very happy that a rather expensive tv now needs a repair due to this.

I will let you know what happens on tuesday.

Hope you get sorted

0 Kudos
davegore2005
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

same thing happened on Tuesday to us, luckily our AV box is fine, but no HDMI output from the TIVO box, new one arrived on Thursday

Dave

0 Kudos
Jim_2016
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

engineer came this evening and was quick to sort.

tivo box is knackered and the whole thing has been replaced.  it does have the isolator, the engineer siad that is what it is there for (lightning strikes), but I replied that it hasnt stopped the tivo box from breaking, and also damaging the HDMI connection.

he did say the internet was ok and that the isolator protects both, the isolator was replaced also.

the extension lead was checked if it was a surge protection one, if that is the case for it to be a requirement then I siad it should be stated, it was plugged directly into the wall it would not have this anyway.

the plugs never went anyway, the RCD breaker trips with the slightest volt change (lightbulb blowing trips it so I am not accomodating that).  also its not the power part of the TV that has a problem, it works fine, just the HDMIs have gone which was directly connected to the TIVO box which has been replaced.

I dont have an answer if the tv repair will be sorted, I have been given a number to ring tomorrow to discuss with his manager.

I dont expect a new tv just a repair to be covered.

0 Kudos
Jim_2016
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

to update I had a conversation with the manager, basically I can put a claim against VM insurers if I get a TV engineer to confirm it was caused by the TIVO box, but the conversation included a number of ifs/what/whys etc, and that that an item can blow even if not connected, it would then go to the insurers and I know where that would go.

I understand this but basically the item to stop the Tivo box has failed to stop it blowing, so the Tivo box is knackered, at the exact time my TV breaks at the point it is connected to the TV box and everthing bar this works.

after being a VM customer for a long period I was disapointed, we are moving home soon and so I wont be taking a VM package on.

back to sky and will be changing my mobile from Virgin also.

0 Kudos