Menu
Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

TIVO and Comtrend P/L adaptors - some problems

Just got my 1st set of P/L adaptors set up but not getting too far in connecting my TIVO for some reason,  and currently can't get the info in the FAQ on the Devices page because it keeps hanging while trying to connect to it (TV Anywhere page) - stuck on the Loading busy icon.

I have 3 green lights on the A plug & a green status on the B so can't see where the problem is arising,

How do I get TV/A to register the device if I can't get past it hanging to do anything?

My other query is more of a concern - says in the info they can get warm - mine are SCORCHING hot to the point where I can't handle them if on for 20-30 mins - is that normal & if so how safe are they?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TIVO and Comtrend P/L adaptors - some problems

The connection between TiVo and Superhub is not needed for the function you want because the TiVo has its own connection to the Internet which is separate from your Superhub.

In your situation, I would restart your TiVo and then see if the app works.

Failing that, deleting the app from your device and then reinstalling it can sometimes get things working.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Delta99,

Sorry to hear that you have had problems getting your devices registered with TV Anywhere. I'll be happy to look into this further for you, but need to clarify a few things with you first.

You should be able to register your devices without connecting your TiVo to your Super Hub. When connecting your TiVo up via the powerline adapters from your Super Hub, this will allow you to use TVA for various TiVo controls such as change channels and set recordings--these aren't required in order for you to use the TVA app or access TVA online (website). 

If you cannot register devices for TV Anywhere, I'll need more information on the actual devices and OS that you are using. If you are using a smart phone or tablet, you will need to install the TV Anywhere app and if you are using a laptop or computer, you need to use the TV Anywhere website.

A good place for more information on TV Anywhere, other than our Community Forum threads, is our Help pages: Introducing Virgin TV Anywhere  This information is found on our main website: www.virginmedia.com/help

To answer your question about the powerline adapters--sometimes they do get warm (mine do)--but shouldn't be "scorching" as you've described yours. Did you get these adapters from us? 

Please let me know,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri

Thanks for answering this - I bought this set 2ndhand and TBH I think I might just go & shell out to get a new set rather than continue on working with them, as I'd not be comfortable about leaving them on unattended for very long - from what I've read 'usually' they work pretty much from the start with little to do perhaps but these just seem to constantly not behave as expected, so perhaps have bought duds,

I was just curious about how they'd work etc so now I know the details, I'd rather not waste time adding them on only to have to remove them again later.

I'm using TVA on a desktop PC via the website Smiley Happy. And my ultimate aim is indeed to be able to view and manipulate TIVO recordings through it.

So thanks for the info as it's helped me figure out my next move - might be a while before I manage to afford a proper and perhaps safter set but will return if I continue to have issues.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Forget making this connection between your TiVo and Superhub for two reasons:

1. You cannot watch recordings from My Shows via TV Anywhere;

2. The connection is not necessary to either stream those channels that can be streamed via TV Anywhere or to manage your TiVo via TV Anywhere.

0 Kudos
Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm - I'd asked about this before and was told I needed to have my TIVO connected to the Superhub if I wanted to access recordings (not to watch) ?  I want to be able to check what programmes are being recorded & set up new ones remotely so was then told a P/Line adaptor was what I needed?  I lose out so many times when stuck in hosp & unable to get recordings organised otherwise Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

....then I'll repeat - you don't need to make this connection to do what you want to do.

0 Kudos
Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok Ernie - unsure how so as I can't get access to my TIVO through TVA at the moment - if I try to check out planned recordings or manage my TIVO it says it's not connected despite it being on & working.  When I'd phoned to find out about what was wrong I was told I needed the TIVO connected to the SuperHub in order to access the data on it.  I can't do that easily as the 2 are in opposite ends of my house,  Hence I was then told I should try a P/L adaptor.

So am I picking you up wrongly when you imply I can access my TIVO remotely without either of those facilities?

And if so, then why isn't it working for me Smiley Sad  So frustrated with this - thought it would be a LOT easier.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The connection between TiVo and Superhub is not needed for the function you want because the TiVo has its own connection to the Internet which is separate from your Superhub.

In your situation, I would restart your TiVo and then see if the app works.

Failing that, deleting the app from your device and then reinstalling it can sometimes get things working.

Delta99
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh blow - so I've wasted £20 on a set of PL adaptors that don't even seem to work properly Smiley Sad  Bummer,

BUT hey you;re ABSOLUTELY RIGHT Smiley Happy Smiley Happy  I promise you it never, ever worked for me anytime I've tried it in the past but it's working perfectly now for whatever reason.  I haven't done anything TBH - just tried it again & there it was - or rather them - all the recordings to change or delete - perfect.

Thanks SO much - just wish I'd found you last yr when I asked the same Q previously & was given a bum steer. Smiley Happy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No problem. Happy to help.

Connecting the TiVo to the Superhub adds one significant extra function.

It removes the exclamation marks from the symbols at the top of the app and allows you to use the app to control TiVo, instead of your physical TiVo remote.

This can be achieved by connecting via powerline adapters, direct Ethernet cable or the way I did it - a universal wifi adapter, such as a Netgear WNCE2001.