Menu
christ1807
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

TIVO SLOW

My box is getting slower.   Not impressed at all.    Did call the helpline some months ago and was advised to switch box off and on again.   Done this many times, but the performance seems to be getting worse.  Memory is at 36%.  Every time a recording starts, the screen freezes for a couple of seconds.   It takes so long to change channels via guide or my shows, the screen goes black for a long time, no immediate change and you can miss the beginning of a program while waiting.  Seems this is a regular problem

Can anything be done about this

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TIVO SLOW

Could be a number of problems inc a dying box or a signal issue. Phone in for an engineers visit. 

0 Kudos

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Could be a number of problems inc a dying box or a signal issue. Phone in for an engineers visit. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi christ1807,

A warm welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® is running slowly for you.  I'll be happy to help check this out for you.  

I have carried out some checks with the box remotely and currently signal and power level wise all looks great.  I have had a look at the network and all looks fine there as well.  

How are things looking today?  If they are still running slow can you please get back to me with the following:

*  Does the box still run slowly if you use the buttons on the front of the box instead of the remote control?

*  When changing channels via the Ch + and - buttons will this be slow as well?

If you can keep me posted, I can help further.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
christ1807
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I called tech support yesterday. They've checked everything restarted etc and are monitoring for 48 hours. Say box and signal ok. If no improvement I will call them back and they will send an engineer to repair or replace box! Having read other forum items I think it is probably something you have to accept as the TiVo box seems inadequate for purpose. I will look at this when it comes to continuing my contract at the end of term.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi christ1807,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

Let me know how you get on on.  I hope things do improve, if they don't just give me a shout and I can check this out no problem.

We're here to help, keep us posted.

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
christ1807
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette.   Things have not improved.  Its slowly deteriorated since last week when tech support restarted my box.  Was watching TV at 9pm last night and it was awful. I had a program to start recording around 9 and my screen froze for at least 2 seconds when recording started.  This happens every time.  Using guide and my shows have also got worse since restart.  Screen is black for approx 5 seconds.

It doesnt seem as bad daytime so when tests are carried out it doesn't show the problems.  Seems to be when everyone sits down at night to watch TV.

Can you offer any help.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi christ1807,

Thank you for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear that the situation hasn't improved with the TiVo® service.

I will arrange for an engineer to call round for you and check out the equipment.  Whilst I am unable to spot the issue form here at the moment, hopefully our engineer will be able to spot the issue.

I will send you a private message with details of the next steps.

Look for the envelope icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
christ1807
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette - can't find any envelope icon so have not received a private message - you said you would arrange an engineer but cant find your message.  Look for the envelope icon - cant find one!!

0 Kudos
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That sounds suspiciously like over utilisation problems in your area. If you can't get to the private message - which from memory is at the top of the post not that msg but I could be wrong (!) ring in and they will tell you when engineer is coming. 

0 Kudos
christ1807
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Parrotperson, I have eventually found the envelope icon and replied to Collette - needed my Account details and phone number before proceeding.   Waiting now for her to get back to me.   I think you're right about over-utilisation in the area.  When the engineers test, its always before the busy night tv traffic, which is why they don't find a fault.   I'm disillusioned - only been a customer since September and have had problems ever since.   Will reconsider whether I continue with Virgin when my anniversary comes round!  If of course it doesn't improve!   Never had the problems with Sky.  I don't understand why the box freezes when a recording starts - very annoying when you miss a good few words of the programme you're watching. 

0 Kudos