Menu
Gonk1963
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

TIVO Remote Control Over Internet

I have an elderley & near housebound relative.  He has a Tivo with a pretty much full package but keeps it on Sky Sports 1  as he struggles  to use the remote, and doesn't want to turn the TV over in case they can't remember what they are doing to turn it back. He also has broadband as I have an IP camera securely connected to the cloud to 'keep an eye on him' from anywhere.

I know that the TV anywhere app can control a Tivo over a local network, is there a way of tunnelling in to the local network via a VPN or from the intenet. I'm thinking that if there is something I know he likes I can phone him and turn his box over from anywhere for him using his account details, then turn it back when the program has finished.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TIVO Remote Control Over Internet (IT WORKS IGNORE MY LAST POST)

IGNORE MY LAST POST......... IT WORKS

I just had to make sure that Multicast via VPN was enabled for that dial in user...

With my phone connected to mobile data and wifi disabled

I can go to the guide, select a program and select watch on tv, which is the best way to make sure its watching a particular program.

I can also use the remote to turn the tivo on and off etc, although selecting a program as above will turn the tivo on.

Regarding setup, I have my hub in modem mode and use a Draytek router which has built in vpn.

In that I create a remote dial in unser and make sure it assignes ip's on the same lan as the tivo

I also have

Netbios Naming Packet

and

Multicast via VPN 

both set to pass.

I'm not sure what your setup is like so not sure how relevant that info is to you.. but it can be done.

All Replies
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO Remote Control Over Internet

so far not looking good.

I can tell you that if you try to connect using your mobile internet via a dial in vpn, which gives me an ip address in the same subnet as the tivo, it wont work.

When I try, if I select a program in the guide and try to click on watch, and select watch on tv it complains about not being on the same network.

I'm not sure if I went via the wifi interface if it would make a difference.

On possible way would be to have a phone connected to wifi at your relatives address and then to remotely control that phone. I have successfully controlled my unrooted android phone from my pc using airmirror on airdroid but its really tricky setting up, but it does work.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

IGNORE MY LAST POST......... IT WORKS

I just had to make sure that Multicast via VPN was enabled for that dial in user...

With my phone connected to mobile data and wifi disabled

I can go to the guide, select a program and select watch on tv, which is the best way to make sure its watching a particular program.

I can also use the remote to turn the tivo on and off etc, although selecting a program as above will turn the tivo on.

Regarding setup, I have my hub in modem mode and use a Draytek router which has built in vpn.

In that I create a remote dial in unser and make sure it assignes ip's on the same lan as the tivo

I also have

Netbios Naming Packet

and

Multicast via VPN 

both set to pass.

I'm not sure what your setup is like so not sure how relevant that info is to you.. but it can be done.

Gonk1963
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Steve

Thanks for your help with this - mulling it over with somebody else this morning I may have come up with another solution that should work. I've got a spare android tablet knocking around, so I'm going to set that up on his network, link tv anywhere on that tablet to his account,  then I can use teamviewer to access it from my phone tablet laptop or whatever.

0 Kudos