Menu
thawes
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

.TIVO Recordings Not Viewable — Advice Please.

TIVO Recordings Not Viewable — Advice Please.

During this holiday period I was hoping to view some of my recordings stored in “My Shows”. However when I tried to access (play-back) some of my recordings, presumably on the TiVo Hard Drive, I cannot access them.
Selecting a recording to play-back I receive the following message.

“ENTER PIN. This show is from a locked channel (284 SkyArts 2HD). Enter your PIN to watch this show”. Having not set up a Pin access code I entered the default “1 2 3 4” code only to receive the following error message “NO LONGER AVAILABLE. We’re sorry, but this recording can’t be viewed because SkyArts 2HD is no longer available from Virgin.

This is disappointing because these recorded shows, mainly of opera and classical music are some of my favourites and I’d like to continue viewing them.

Presumably, these shows were recorded to the TiVo hard drive, so I’m a little surprised that the demise of the SkyArts 2 channel leads to me not being able to view what’s already recorded on the TiVo’s Hard Drive, particularly as page 4 of the TiVo Top Tips leaflet (https://my.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virgoBrowse​/docs/TiVo_top_tips.pdf) states: “YOUR RECORDINGS — They’re all stored safe and sound in My Shows”, — but obviously not so in my case!

Advice please as to what I have to do to do to be able to view these recordings once again — thanks.

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: .TIVO Recordings Not Viewable — Advice Please.

There's been a recent thread on this same subject, typically I can't find it now - but essentially VM retained the guide "position" for this channel for 3months in order that recordings would be viewable for the same time. Now that guide number has been removed, recordings won't work.

I don't know if the same logic applies to non-Sky channels, but they're well known for these and similar restrictions on "removed" channels - anything you record on Sky Movies, for example, is non-viewable if you unsubscribe from Sky Movies.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The above is correct. The broadcaster owns all the content on its channels, & can place any restrictions it wishes on their use. Sky has a policy of removing access to recorded material inmmediately from channels that are no longer subscribed to, or that cease broadcasting. They made an exception in this case & allowed 4 months for the recordings to be viewed.

In case you were wondering, Sky customers with Sky+ boxes also lost access to programmes recorded from Sky Arts 2 on December 1st.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

eddiedoherty
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What a flaming liberty! I was already a bit miffed that I lost all my Andre Rieu recordings when I made the switch from Sky to Virgin and if I ever had to have a box replaced, recordings were never copied over, but I have spent the last few years building them up again and now have (or HAD) even more of them "saved" on my Tivo. I only realised this was an issue when my dad tried to play one of his favourite recordings yesterday and got the error message about the channel no longer being available. If I had recorded it onto an old VHS tape or burnt it onto a DVD, it would still be available to watch.

It isn't even as if Sky Arts has gone completely. Just because the vast majority, if not all of these concerts and documentaries were shown on Sky Arts 2 (or Sky Arts Rieu, as they temporarily renamed it when I caught up with a lot of them) and they have chosen to just have a single channel from now on should not mean that viewers lose access to recorded shows. I fully accept that if, as I have done, you cancel your subscription to Sky Movies, you would lose access to any recorded films on your box, but Sky Arts channels are part of the subscription package that we are still paying through the nose for. On the plus side, I suppose I can now regain over 60% of the recording capacity on my Tivo and will have to start rerecording them if I spot them, but this is REALLY making me angry. Not just this latest issue, but I cancelled both Sky Movies and Sport and scaled back my broadband to try to reduce my monthly spending. I was already getting a loyalty discount, which was very nice of Virgin, but as I noticed my bills were increasing again, I found out that it had ended, and the price went up, plus they increased the cost again when they added a sports channel I didn't ask for and now I hear it is going up again! Is this latest much-hyped broadband speed increase "free" or not? One months phone line rental costs 3 to 4 times what I spend in actual calls for the whole year, just so I can receive cold calls to my supposedly ex-directory and TPS registered number about surveys and issues with my computer, but if I don't take it out, they increase the cost of the broadband. Sorry, this is turning into an anti-virgin rant! Not the case. I have always loved the brand and prefer them over Sky, even with less channels available, but I am just getting fed up with their price increases and sales calls. I had one within a week of contacting them to cancel the movies and sports trying to get me to take them out again!

For Gods sake Virgin, Sky Arts is still part of the channel lineup and you know that at some point you will be showing these shows again on the single channel, so stop being a diva and allow us to watch what we have already paid a subscription to watch and record!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

eddiedoherty wrote:

For Gods sake Virgin, Sky Arts is still part of the channel lineup and you know that at some point you will be showing these shows again on the single channel, so stop being a diva and allow us to watch what we have already paid a subscription to watch and record!

As has been explained it is Sky that call the shots on this not Virgin

thawes
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all the replies to my original enquiry.

What a pity that Sky killed off access to my recordings, however having learnt my lesson the hard way I'll ensure I record any particularly attractive shows to my connected Toshiba DVD Player and Recorder to save for posterity, either to the Toshiba's Hard Disk or burn to DVD.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thawes wrote:

Thanks for all the replies to my original enquiry.

What a pity that Sky killed off access to my recordings, however having learnt my lesson the hard way I'll ensure I record any particularly attractive shows to my connected Toshiba DVD Player and Recorder to save for posterity, either to the Toshiba's Hard Disk or burn to DVD.

If you wish to keep ANYTHING, leaving it on your rented VM equipment is risky, as nothing can be transferred should there be a breakdown.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Of course, you have absolutely no right to make a copy of this material to keep forever.

thawes
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Of course, you have absolutely no right to make a copy of this material to keep forever.

Well not forever, just until I get fed up with it. For personal use only of course.

0 Kudos