Menu
nigelss
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TIVO BOX UPDATED? - NOW DELETES RECORDINGS AUTOMATICALLY!!

I just noticed that a new option "keep until" appears in the list of options when I select a programme I have recorded to play back. Much to my horror I found that the programme was going to be deleted automatically in a couple of days time. I had to manually change the setting to keep the programme until I delete it.

It was the same for every programme I have recorded since 2014. I would have lost the lot over the next three days if I had not noticed this new option and taken action to keep the programmes until *I* decide to delete them.

It is beyond belief that Virgin Media can issue an update with no warning to the user that unless they take action they will lose all the programmes they have ever recorded over the next few days. If your Tivo box has been updated and you have programmes recorded you want to keep I strongly urge you to take a look NOW and change the 'keep until' setting for each programme, otherwise you'll go to play something back and find it has vanished.

Tags (3)
davorg
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO BOX UPDATED? - NOW DELETES RECORDINGS AUTOMATICALLY!!

I'm surprised that you see this as a new feature. It has been a standard feature on all of the VM Tivos I've owned (going back four or five years).

But  don't worry about your recordings disappearing immediately. Despite what the message says, recordings are only ever deleted when the box is short of space. I've recordings flagged as "deleting tomorrow" that have still been there six months later.

Dave...

@davorg
Former Cable & Wireless and ntl customer
0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The functionality is the same as it's always been, the TiVo has always deleted programs automatically when it needs the space so that it can record new programs, and it has always had the "Keep until I delete option". The warning message is misleading though, the programs will only be deleted if the box really needs the space, even though the message says they will be deleted in a few days (I have had programs with that message on for years now!)

Ironically, there is a bug where the TiVo sometimes deleted programs en masse which anecdotally is made worse by setting lots of programs to "Keep until I delete"

0 Kudos
nigelss
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have had a Tivo box since summer 2014. The first time I spotted the "keep until" option was a couple of days ago, after the update. As regards Tivo automatically deleting programmes not being a new thing, 'tis true that whenever I have permanently deleted a programme I have seen a message saying I don't have to do that - the box will remove deleted programmes automatically as and when it needs space for new recordings. What was new to me was seeing availability in days, hours and minutes displayed for a programme I recorded recently, and on investigating, finding the (to me new) 'keep until' option. I have no quibble about Tivo permanently removing programmes I have deleted as and when it sees a need to do so. I do have a quibble with 'keep until' defaulting to seemingly delete a programme I have not chosen to delete. If this option doesn't do what it says on the tin it should be explained better!

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

nigelss wrote:

I have had a Tivo box since summer 2014. The first time I spotted the "keep until" option was a couple of days ago, after the update. As regards Tivo automatically deleting programmes not being a new thing, 'tis true that whenever I have permanently deleted a programme I have seen a message saying I don't have to do that - the box will remove deleted programmes automatically as and when it needs space for new recordings. What was new to me was seeing availability in days, hours and minutes displayed for a programme I recorded recently, and on investigating, finding the (to me new) 'keep until' option. I have no quibble about Tivo permanently removing programmes I have deleted as and when it sees a need to do so. I do have a quibble with 'keep until' defaulting to seemingly delete a programme I have not chosen to delete. If this option doesn't do what it says on the tin it should be explained better!

I have had a Tivo for over five years, got one shortly after they were introduced, and have used KUID extensively. I have never had a problem with a programme being deleted without my consent. I housekeep regularly, sometimes get messages telling me that a programme a week or more down the line may not get recorded but that never happens.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos