Menu
NickyNoogle
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Switching back to V+ box from TIVO

Hi, How do I revert to my V+ box from TIVO ?  I was recently persuaded to change to a TIVO box and having installed it I find the picture quality on my aging (non-HD) television to be truly awful. Also the V+ box had twin scart sockets one of which I used for my DVD recorder. The TIVO box only has one so I can no longer record  onto DVD for posterity since the single scart is used to connect to my television.  I did have a go at TV Anywhere but have now given that up as a bad joke.   

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching back to V+ box from TIVO

NickyNoogle wrote:

Hi, How do I revert to my V+ box from TIVO ?  I was recently persuaded to change to a TIVO box and having installed it I find the picture quality on my aging (non-HD) television to be truly awful. Also the V+ box had twin scart sockets one of which I used for my DVD recorder. The TIVO box only has one so I can no longer record  onto DVD for posterity since the single scart is used to connect to my television.  I did have a go at TV Anywhere but have now given that up as a bad joke.   

Before you give up on TiVo I would give VM a chance to sort out your picture quality issues - it may be down to signal levels or some other setting that is not quite right.  You can run some tests from the service status page or just ring in an report a fault. The numbers to ring are 150 free from a VM mobile or landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone (chargeable as standard UK landline phone no.).

I held off getting a TiVo for two years or more because of reports I had read here and heard from friends of problems.  Like you I don't have a HD tv but still use a cathode ray tube TV bought in 2004.  For me I have been more than happy since switching a couple of months ago.  I have no loss of picture quality compared to the V+ box, although I have to admit the text is quite small on a 24 inch screen.  Re the DVD recorder, if you link the TiVo scart to the DVD and then to the TV I think you should still be able to record to DVD.

NickyNoogle
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching back to V+ box from TIVO

Hi, thanks for the reply. I had considered daisy chaining my DVD recorder but chose not to in case of signal interference. However I have connected it is you suggested and this has corrected the contrast issue that I had so the picture is now watchable but at the loss of some clarity. Also the vertical bars that I had been experiencing since connecting the TIVO box have faded noticeably. Apart from the lack of image clarity the only other drawback is that I now have to leave my DVD recorder switched on in order to get a reasonably viewable image. Overall there has been no advantage to me at all in changing to a TIVO box. I feel it may be necessary for me to purchase a new TV to get the full benefit.

Anyway, thanks very much for you input, it was extremely useful. 

0 Kudos