Menu
Bozzy
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Switch to HD version button

Seriously, how hard would that be to code. If you are on any channel that has a HD and SD version, then why not assign one of the buttons to swap between the SD or HD versions. Or if the box is HD capable, why even have both versions, just have the HD one?
zilch
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switch to HD version button

HD recordings take up more memory space , so SD channel versions may be a more desirable option on occasion.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BBC1 HD cannot show regional programmes. ITV1 HD only has 8 regions available compared to double that number in SD.

Except for the oldest standard boxes all the others are HD capable, but can be used by HD TV's using HDMI digital or SD TV's using analogue Scart connections. However, the boxes can only be programmed with one network ID table so have to share the same EPG allocations.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Bozzy
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so keeping the SD is required. But still, if there is a HD channel, a 'swap to' button would be awesome.....I'm forever searching for the HD version of something I find in SD!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Press the blue button and select HD channels

0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I hate the fact that you can't simply use the channel up and down buttons to go BBC1>BBC2>ITV>C4>C5 etc when watching the HD versions. Yeah, I know you can type 108/etc, but it's a pain remembering all the various numbers, and the Guide is a messy way to do it too.

However I agree that the lack of local opt-outs on BBC1 HD is a major issue as far as leaving the HD version on permanently is concerned.

Andre

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

andrewilley wrote:

I hate the fact that you can't simply use the channel up and down buttons to go BBC1>BBC2>ITV>C4>C5 etc when watching the HD versions. Yeah, I know you can type 108/etc, but it's a pain remembering all the various numbers, and the Guide is a messy way to do it too.

However I agree that the lack of local opt-outs on BBC1 HD is a major issue as far as leaving the HD version on permanently is concerned.

Andre

The channel numbers 101 -105 are PSB channel slots that are prescribed by OFCOM, and applies to the primary slots on all TV platforms. The other channel numbers are the result of an agreement between the channel provider & the platform operator (eg BBC1 HD uses 108 on both Freesat & Virgin, 101 on Freeview & 141 on Sky).

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Recently quite a few of the channels did swap the SD and HD versions over, so that HD lists first e.g Sky One HD is now ahead of Sky One SD, as are the Sky Movies and Sports channels.

Hopefully this change will continue where possible so that it's more likely you'll go to the HD version first when browsing.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
andrewilley
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good idea. My wife just presses 157 for 'Fox' for example, as it's the number she saw first in the list. And you try to persuade her to press 199 instead, her argument is that  she remembers 157 and it works, so why change??

Although, that said, Virgin's own website (http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/watch/entertainment.html) says that Fox HD is on 158, which it isn't (158 is Fox+1).

Andre

0 Kudos
g0hjq
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I'd love that .... press the Blue button (or some other colour) to switch between the SD and HD versions of the same program, especially when setting up recordings.

0 Kudos