Menu
Huwge
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sudden increase in volume (BBC only)

Over the  last few weeks I've noticed a sudden increase in volume while  watching programmes on BBC1 HD.

The volume increases, in my estimation about four or five 'clicks'. This is while watching the channel. At first the volume will be fine, then, during the broadcast the volume will increase.If I change channel I then have to increase the volume to the previous level which has been the norm for everything else.

I recorded a BBC 1 programme while watching it and when the volume increased, I replayed the section where it happened from the recording and got exactly the same resultant volume increase in the same place on the broadcast

It does not happen on any other channels, neither does it happen on any DVDs or Netflix / Youtube etc run through my DVD player.

Help please !

0 Kudos
beynonb
Joining in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden increase in volume (BBC only)

Same here, so annoying!!!

0 Kudos
pinkthing
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Same here. For a few weeks. VERY annoying.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello All, 

Apologies for the issues you're experiencing with volume levels. We are currently investigating a potential problem. Could you please supply us with a little bit more information. 

Do you notice this on any other channel other than BBC Channels?
How are you connected? (for example - HDMI lead from set top box to TV - no sound bar)
Are you using a Scart lead or HDMI?
Do you use any additional Sound equipment (if so how is this connected)
What type of set top box do you have? (Tivo, V6, V+HD, VHD)
If you use a Tivo or V6 STB, is audio set to Dolby or Dolby to PCM?
What make and model is your TV?
Channels affected and also specify programs (does it only affect specific programs or is it all the time)
Does it happen on programs only or does it happen in advert breaks, or on continuity announcements?
Does the volume gradually increase/decrease or does it jump up/down?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
TTU
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Using TIVO and a Sony AV amp (STRDH540) connected by HDMI.  Tivo audio output set to Dolby Digital.  When volume changes (up or down) amp display shows change of Dolby digital signal to/from 3.2.1 to 2.0 (LtRt).  Volume change is step rather than gradual - increase when going from 3.2.1 to 2.0 and decrease on the reverse.  Happens within a programme rather than on change.  Mainly BBC1 HD (will try and note if other BBC HD channels affected) certainly no non-BBC channels affected.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
TTU
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Update at 1319hrs. Watching 1 o'clock news on Ch108 (BBC 1 HD). Sound identified as Dolby 2.0 (with PLII logo showing). At 1307hrs changed to Dolby LtRt with increase in volume. At 1314hrs changed back to 2.0 with decrease in volume.
0 Kudos
Huwge
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Using TIVO with a Pioneer VSX-LX60 amp connected by HDMI.  Tivo audio output set to Dolby Digital. 

When volume changes amp display shows change of  plus or minus volume of 3.  Volume is changed in one jump, not by increments. It is only happening on BBC1HD (haven't watched BBC2HD). Alll other channels are fine.

Since my initial post I have noticed a sudden decrease in volume as well as the increase I started the topic with.

I see that there are two other topics on the front page with the same problem

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/BBC-HD-Wales-Dolby-Digital/td-p/364253...

and

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Sound-Fluctuations/td-p/3628649

so it seems the issue is quite widespread

0 Kudos
pinkthing
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

V6 > Yamaha AV Receiver > HDMI to TV.

I tried it direct V6 > TV via HDMI to see if it was my receiver, but same problem.

V6 set to Dolby Digital.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update guys. 

I'd like to ask if you're still experiencing this issue? I was watching TV last night and didn't notice any issues, however as this is an intermittent issue I'd like for some further input. 

So if you do notice anything from this point on, please let us know, what show it happened on, and the channel number you were watching at the time. 

Many thanks

0 Kudos
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It would be useful if those with the problem could indicate which version of BBC1HD they are viewing or what part of the county they are in.

BBC1HD has four different versions and it could be just one (or two) of them with the issue which would help locate any issue.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos