Menu
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Stuttering recordings

For some time I have been suffering problems with my recordings and pausing / playing back TV. It will play ok, then every 10-20 minutes it will stutter for a minute or two.

The stuttering seems to be duration based rather than what the section I am watching, for example, if I forward the programme by 10 minutes, the stuttering continues. Conversely if I rewind and leave it paused for 2 minutes then that section will play smoothly.

It's almost like it is doing something in the background, causing it to stutter and when it is complete the playback resumes.

I've tried deleting shows to get me back down to around 90%, but that doesn't help.

What might this be?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stuttering recordings

Mcgaz wrote:

For some time I have been suffering problems with my recordings and pausing / playing back TV. It will play ok, then every 10-20 minutes it will stutter for a minute or two.

The stuttering seems to be duration based rather than what the section I am watching, for example, if I forward the programme by 10 minutes, the stuttering continues. Conversely if I rewind and leave it paused for 2 minutes then that section will play smoothly.

It's almost like it is doing something in the background, causing it to stutter and when it is complete the playback resumes.

I've tried deleting shows to get me back down to around 90%, but that doesn't help.

What might this be?

There is a bug that Virgin have been slow (make that very slow) to acknowledge. It it happens when the TiVo is flushing its live TV buffers to the hard drive. Apparently it happens to everyone but, as I have found, it happens to some more obviously than others. It is also more prevalent than was assumed because customers' problems were being misdiagnosed and the incidents not being logged properly to build up a base of evidence. 

Unfortunately it would appear that Virgin are not learning any lessons. It became so bad that I was warned against posting about it. Previous posts on the subject have disappeared.

The problem only seems to appear on recordings or delayed TV.  In my case there was a pattern, it would generally occur about quarter past the hour although it could also appear at other, random, times. One way to tell if you are suffering from it is to wait until the stuttering finishes and then rewind. The same portion will then play without a problem.

After months of arguing I finally had my boxes, both of which were affected, replaced earlier this week. I have been asked to monitor the issue and I will but, having spent a lot of time previously diagnosing the issue myself, logging occurrences, and posting extensive details on the forum, I found that VM were not interested. This time I will note the problem should it occur but my main focus will be on using the boxes for my entertainment, and that of my family, because that is why I pay a considerable sum to VM each month and I have not been able to do this for months.

I have noted several posts recently which describes the same symptoms and the response from the Forum team is that they cannot see anything wrong. At this point they should start asking the right questions but, as happened to me, they prefer to stick their heads in the sand.

I am not saying that you have the same problem but, should you have an issue that is not on their template, be  prepared to face an uphill struggle.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
qwakuk
Dialled in
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

One of my 3 boxes started doing this last week.

Reported it on here and one of the VM staff arranged an engineer. He walked in the door and said the hard drive was dying and the box needed replacing, no other diagnosis. Five hours on and watched one 60 minute recording on the new box, so far so good.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator

qwakuk wrote:

One of my 3 boxes started doing this last week.

Reported it on here and one of the VM staff arranged an engineer. He walked in the door and said the hard drive was dying and the box needed replacing, no other diagnosis. Five hours on and watched one 60 minute recording on the new box, so far so good.

Not neccessarily the engineer's fault.  My local engineers know about it because I pushed the matter and one had the problem confirmed after he had witnessed itself. He has told his colleagues about it as confirmed by the engineer who brought my boxes last Monday.

As I said above Virgin are not learning any lessons.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
qwakuk
Dialled in
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

The guy basically said if the live programs are ok and after rewinding and playing again it is normally ok, got to be a hard drive issue.
0 Kudos
qwakuk
Dialled in
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

spoke too soon, just watching a recording and the stuttering is back on the new box as well
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

qwakuk wrote:
The guy basically said if the live programs are ok and after rewinding and playing again it is normally ok, got to be a hard drive issue.

That is nonsense as, if it was simply an HDD issue, then the problem would still be there on rewind. Does he think that the HDD repaired itself on the side?

Having discussed this with the VM Tivo expert, this certainly sounds like the known issue and the Forum team should report it to him. He told me that VM would re-open the issue and it makes sense to look at cases like yours that can add to the evidence.

I have not noticed the problem yet on one of my replaced Tivo boxes and I have still to check the other. The fact that you can see it on a replaced box is very relevant,

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
RP65
Tuning in
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I have reported this 3 times now and each time been told that the box is fine and should just need a reboot, which is done remotely.  Today, an engineer has finally been scheduled for a visit, so hoping something is done to resolve.  Only happens on 1 of my 2 TIVO boxes and it's the older of the 2.

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Ours does the same thing. Very annoying.
0 Kudos
Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it's not a failed hard drive because I would expect that certain sectors would be affected and you would not be able to view a broken section.

Since it's not hard to replicate, I had my iPad ready to record it. My best guess is that it is stuttering when it is archiving or deleting sections of live tv that has been recorded. Here is the problem in action:

0 Kudos