Menu
lanx74
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Stuck in startup loop

My 3 year old TiVo box has started to turn itself off occasionally ( also whilst watching ) and gets stuck in a startup loop that takes ages ( half hour or more ) to get out of. You can hear the hard disk trying to do something that sounds wrong in the time it's trying to startup.
I've checked the card is secure and all the connections - unplugged it for periods to allow it to clear anything nasty and it still does it.
Have these things got a shelf life ??
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stuck in startup loop

Hi lanx74,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your concerns. I'm very sorry to hear your TiVo® box is causing you problems with it going off randomly and taking a while to start up again.

There's no set life expectancy as such, I've had mine 4 years this Rugby World Cup and it's been fine (I'm touching my wooden desk right now). It's quite possible yours has developed a fault though.

I've managed to locate your account to run some tests. I can see the signal levels are all in range which is good news. I'm not able to detect a fault remotely but if it's turning itself off regularly then this is clearly a problem. How often would you say it does this?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
lanx74
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Its in fits and starts - sometimes it just won't turn on for 20 or 30 minutes - each for days at a time  - other times its just fine.

Does it create a log anywhere of startups back at virgin HQ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ianx74,

Thanks for coming back to the Community, Richard isn't here right now and I'd love to help. I've had a little look into the services and can see the TiVo is off, I'm sorry to see this and would like to help you. 

I'd like to arrange a visit from an engineer and certainly get the box looked into. if the box is found faulty then a replacement would be required. any of the recordings you have wouldn't be moved over so watching what you are able to would be best.

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little red envelope near the top left of the page. I'll speak to you soon hopefully and take care.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos